Wiring 1974 CJ5 Wiring Harness

Wiring 1974 CJ5 Wiring Harness
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5-Brown
1974 CJ5-Blue
I inherited a 1974 CJ5 that someone had started to rewire, but then it sat with little done to it for 8 years. Some of the original wiring is still present, but most is gone, so I'm having a hard time tracing the wiring. The person was using a Painless 22 Circuit Classic Customizable 1974 & Earlier Jeep CJ Harness. At least, I believe that's what it is. This is NOT a plug and play wiring harness. Does anyone know of a plug and play solution?

Solution
:welcome:
As a fellow 72~75 CJ owner, I know unfortunately there is no replacement plug and play harness. To help you finish your wiring we do have a FSM and other guides (designated for different years but almost the same.) You might find an old used harness on Ebay but it would still be 40+ years old.
Do you have a Power Probe to help?
:welcome:
As a fellow 72~75 CJ owner, I know unfortunately there is no replacement plug and play harness. To help you finish your wiring we do have a FSM and other guides (designated for different years but almost the same.) You might find an old used harness on Ebay but it would still be 40+ years old.
Do you have a Power Probe to help?

Solution
Painless has their kit part # 10105 they say is for CJs 1974 and older where the wiring goes through a rubber grommet in the firewall rather than the standard bulkhead connector in later models. Quite pricey, but readily available. To CJ's point, with a cheap multimeter and the diagrams he linked, you should be able to handle it.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Painless has their kit part # 10105 they say is for CJs 1974 and older where the wiring goes through a rubber grommet in the firewall rather than the standard bulkhead connector in later models. Quite pricey, but readily available. To CJ's point, with a cheap multimeter and the diagrams he linked, you should be able to handle it.
Agree, it's a good kit but still not a direct plugin. It will need some work.
As @TSB8C said, it's a simple harness to finish.

I pulled my three harnesses (engine bay, under dash, and rear area) and spread them on the dining room table. With a meter, soldering iron, and a crimper, got it all working and added what I needed for custom stuff (EFI, alarm, push button start, etc). No kit needed or would have worked out-of-the-box.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom