a reliable engine build?

a reliable engine build?

kickitandholdit

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'53 CJ3B
im hopefully not about to rebuild my engine BUT i want to go ahead and have plans for when it happens and have a RELIABILITY engine thread. so these straight 6s have enough power to do what i want and im not saying more power is bad i just wont a list of things on making a very sturdy reliable engine that can stand up to years and years of wide open throttle :drool:

Edit. My PC screwed up. disregard. To lazy to type it all again.

IMHO The further you get from stock the less reliable it will become.
No engine will stand up to a life of full throttle. If you could build one that does, all the pro racers would be buying it.;)

IMHO The further you get from stock the less reliable it will become.
No engine will stand up to a life of full throttle. If you could build one that does, all the pro racers would be buying it.;)

thats what i figured. i was thinking forged parts but original compression ratio and all that hell i dont know i guess its time for research haha

From 1971 to 1986 VAM built a 4.6 liter 282 based on the 4.2. All they did was increase the bore from 95.25mm to 99.50mm. stroke remained the same at 99.0mm. With 8:1 compression, they got 200hp and 280 ft lbs at 2200 rpm. This is the basic blue print that I am going to use when I find a donor engine to build.

HOWDY, AM trying to get a 1973 CJ5 engine unstuck, had mystery oil in for at least 2weeks, not alot of mystery oil, pulled on it, and pulled. No go with that. Recently sprayed penetrating oil, and more penetrating oil in it. Am going to wait a few days and try to see if it moves. After that will be a batch of fluid concoction with mystery oil, kerosene and auto tranny fluid mixed up. Here is the question, if it loosens up, and moves freely, what is the next few steps in getting this motor going? It sat for a long time, ran prior to being parked. The oil in the pan looks good on the dip stick, motor looks good. I just dont know if i should do a tear down even if it spins after being unstuck??? Help, ROOKIE needs help...

You have a 50/50 shot that it won't need disassemble. You are proceeding in the correct direction. However, in my experience, the wrist pins usually are the determining factor. Good luck.

HOWDY, AM trying to get a 1973 CJ5 engine unstuck, had mystery oil in for at least 2weeks, not alot of mystery oil, pulled on it, and pulled. No go with that. Recently sprayed penetrating oil, and more penetrating oil in it. Am going to wait a few days and try to see if it moves. After that will be a batch of fluid concoction with mystery oil, kerosene and auto tranny fluid mixed up. Here is the question, if it loosens up, and moves freely, what is the next few steps in getting this motor going? It sat for a long time, ran prior to being parked. The oil in the pan looks good on the dip stick, motor looks good. I just dont know if i should do a tear down even if it spins after being unstuck??? Help, ROOKIE needs help...

LOL. Some guys over on earlyCJ5.com had the same problem a couple years ago. A bunch of us got together to get this old barn find operational for one of them. Spent a couple days beforehand pouring MM oil inthe cylinders, getting a fresh battery, ect. ready.
D-Day comes and the poor thing is still locked up tight, so we got the brilliant idea to drag the thing around the farm with my CJ (the only one with enough power on hand to drag it with 4 wheels locked up). Tugging it in the dirt did nothing but make ruts. So we took it out on the street and got a good head of steam and the guy drops the clutch. 4 instant black marks and the little Jeep is getting sideways in the road! Did that 3 or 4 times and then all of a sudden <BOOM> the engine frees up and sprays the 'driver' with MM oil! So we turned around and headed back to home base. But I didn't know the little Jeep had NO brakes! LOL the poor guy 'driving' was a wreck by the time we got it back to the house!
Anyways, thats an idea for ya if you can't get it loose any other way. Have fun! :chug:

LOL. Some guys over on earlyCJ5.com had the same problem a couple years ago. A bunch of us got together to get this old barn find operational for one of them. Spent a couple days beforehand pouring MM oil inthe cylinders, getting a fresh battery, ect. ready.
D-Day comes and the poor thing is still locked up tight, so we got the brilliant idea to drag the thing around the farm with my CJ (the only one with enough power on hand to drag it with 4 wheels locked up). Tugging it in the dirt did nothing but make ruts. So we took it out on the street and got a good head of steam and the guy drops the clutch. 4 instant black marks and the little Jeep is getting sideways in the road! Did that 3 or 4 times and then all of a sudden <BOOM> the engine frees up and sprays the 'driver' with MM oil! So we turned around and headed back to home base. But I didn't know the little Jeep had NO brakes! LOL the poor guy 'driving' was a wreck by the time we got it back to the house!
Anyways, thats an idea for ya if you can't get it loose any other way. Have fun! :chug:
Love that story, so did you get it running without breaking it down?

Well we got it to pop a few times, but we had to leave for the 2 hour drive home before nightfall. I never did hear if they got it running after we left...I am sure they did tho.

im hopefully not about to rebuild my engine BUT i want to go ahead and have plans for when it happens and have a RELIABILITY engine thread. so these straight 6s have enough power to do what i want and im not saying more power is bad i just wont a list of things on making a very sturdy reliable engine that can stand up to years and years of wide open throttle :drool:
Hey kickit, I really like my 258 for crawling around and now that it's FI'ed it will idle all day long over obsticles and not miss a beat but to run it wide open 24-7 is not the 258's fortee. For me I would be happy to rebuild to stock specs with a rv type cam and call it good. The 258 has proven itself quite reliable and good for lots of miles.

My 2 cents is the damage is done and you may get it freed up and even running again but don't count on it going far.
Oh ya and your post does classify as "highjacking" so feel free to start your own thread. :D
One other thing, Welcome aboard.

The 4.x family of engines are stout puppies. But not made for sustained WOT treatment. Biggest issue is surprisingly the camshaft. As RPM goes up the cam ....because it is not well supported by the number of cam bearings along it`s length.........runs into a severe harmonics issues. Destroying the cam, timing chains and distributors. And is some cases the block itself. One of the reasons Jeep limits RPM to 5200 rpm in there FI engines.

Hesco, the company Jeep contracted for there racing development program back in the day.
Hesco Inc. - High Performance Engine Service

Has done a lot of testing with adding extra webbing for additional cam bearings in there aluminum block.

The other factor is the rocker arm/ball/stud in the head.

I am so glad to see all the advice. Am thanking you all. I have done the pop/drag thing many years ago, and it worked. I have added a 3 part concoction into each cylinder MMoil/ATF/KEROSENE. Am going to leave it, shake it and see what happens, also, got a lead on a running 73 258. Thanks Jeepers.
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

However, in my experience, the wrist pins usually are the determining factor. Good luck.

Wristpins...:shudder:
A bad one almost cost me my 401 this last go-around. :(

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks