Diff AMC 20 One piece axle install

Basod

Active Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'84 CJ7, 258, T4, D300, D30, AMC20, 3.54 gears
Getting ready to start my axle upgrade.
I've seen some recommendations on separating the splined hub by loosening the castle nut and driving around a bit until they "pop"
Is this recommend? Obliviously won't need the parts when I'm done. Just trying to save some time getting the backing plate separated if possible.

I've heard of that as well. Never heard how reliable it was. Two other options:

(1) Spray hub/axle spline interface with penetrating oil, something other than Liquid Wrench or WD-40. Make: steel plate, 3/8" thick. Drill 1/2" holes 5 on 5 1/2" centered on plate. Gather: 5ea. 1/2-20 threaded rod (coupling) nuts. 5ea. 1/2-20x12" threaded rods. 5ea. 1/2-20 grade 8 nuts. 5ea. 1/2 flat washers. 1 small tube anti-seize. Back off hub nut so flush with end of axle. Install threaded rod nuts half way onto wheel studs. Install threaded rods into remainder of coupling nuts. Evenly install plate with grade 8 nuts, flat washers, and anti-seize onto threaded rods till plate touches axle end/hub nut. Tighten grade 8 nuts equal amounts in star pattern, evenly drawing the plate into the axle end/hub nut. When the nuts get really tight whack the poo out of the plate in the middle (on the other side of the axle end/hub nut) with dead blow or sledge. Tighten nuts again. Whack poo outta plate again. It made a nice pop when it let loose.

(2) You take the hub and axle and lift it...while holding it with both hands, walk over to the metal recycle bin. Now, place the hub and axle in the recycle bin. Next, get on the internet and order a set of solid axles. It's really that easy.

Of course with #2, you need new backing plates.

From a friend who did his:
"Something in the neighborhood of a 50 TON hydraulic press will separate the 2 parts! Just wear some hearing protection and brace yourself for the "sound"! 12-Ton wouldn't budge my brothers 2pc axles... hauled them to a shop with 50-ton press (it really made that press grunt) and when they separated, it sounded like a cannon going off (*everyone* in the shop... 15-20 folks jumped." Now some machine shops in my area will do this for you for $15-$20. Probably well worth it. So check around.

When I did mine, no access to a press that large. I removed the axle/hub/plate all together. Yea, had to disconnect the e-brake cable and the brake lines, but far easier for the DIY'er. Then I cut the bearings with an angle grinder to save the backing plates. You shouldn't re-use the bearings anyway once removed. No need to ever separate the hub and axle shaft this way.

Don't do it, get the correct puller!

BASOD - If you're replacing the axles anyway (I assume you meant 1-piece upgrades) then why mess with all the effort to separate the hubs? Just pull the existing ones out, cut the old bearings, and slip the backing plates off. Assemble your new 1-piece units as instructed and install. Easy-peazy. You'll still need a bearing press to put the new bearings and lock rings on, but not near the size needed to press the old hubs off. Once done, then execute my step 2 above :)

Take 'em to the shop and have them pressed. You would pay for the convenience, but it would be worth it. If you have a cuss jar at home, you'll be broke by noon.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks