Auto vs. Manual

Auto vs. Manual

Old Dog

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ7 350 tbi, TH350, D300 twin sticked & clocked, narrowed Chief D44 Eaton Elocker & Moser shafts, Explorer 8.8 Detroit locker, 410's, RE 4.5" spring lift 1" body lift, 35" Claws, cage tied to frame, Corbeau baja seats, HD tie rod and draglink, u-bolts flipped, custom skid plate and sliders, Warn 9.5ti winch with Amsteel synthetic line
Just thought I'd see what I could stir up. What do you all think is best for off road use?
My Opinion is a auto is better because it can shift faster than I can when hill climbing or in the mud to keep forward momentum up. Also in the rocks when you stick a tire in a crack you do not kill the engine as can happen with a manual.
You also don't have to worry about killing the engine on a steep incline and sliding back down when you try to get going again.
So lets hear your ideas on this.:)

Ahh - The old auto vs manual debate! Both have their advantages and disadvantages. You forgot a manual advantage - using the engine as a braking devise.

Me - I prefer a manual mostly because of the simplicity of it as well as the ridiculously low gear choices... On the other hand, having an auto that is built correctly can be nice also... Maybe I don't know which one I like more! :)

Both have their strong points and weakness. An auto, is probably better for screaming through mud, and possibly as a hill climber. But they rob horses from the stable, are expensive, and rely heavily on proper cooling and too much technology. A standard is straight up cheaper to run, the combinations of gears and set ups is Limited only by your imagination, their simple, tough, and rely on no external coolants and lines to make them work. Seldom if ever overheat, and require no horsepower to run them. They can serve as a power brake, and with a proper high torque starter, can drag your Jeep over a rockpile If the engine drops dead. designed with proper gearing, you pretty much don't need a clutch except to start and stop, but in the case of my old MB, you could just leave it in gear and push the starter to get it crawling again. I guess I'm a standard kind of guy.

I have always wheeled a stick. This will be my first auto. In wheeling, what goes up must come down. Driving down a steep hill in 4lo with a manual in 1st gear is a very controlled movement. An auto takes a good brake foot and a strong butt pucker muscle. I have seen modified autos work very well offroad. I chose an auto this time because it is going to be a daily driver. I will drive it to work sometimes. After working a 14 hour day, keeping a loose steering cj on the road is enough effort, I don't need to worry about shifting also. If I were making a purpose built wheeler, definately manual with a crawler(granny) gear. Guess it depends on your use of the rig. Also the wife will be driving this one sometimes, and she can't drive a stick. It's the only way I could get a good budget in these tight economic times.:D

an auto is definately the best choice in almost every kind of terrain I wheel in....That being said, I have never owned or plan to own a automatic tranny in any wheeling rig I own. My wife on the other hand, wheels her Durango (auto trans) and we will be building her a off road truck with a auto tranny (not the current one until the engine gets replaced tho). Why? its easier for her to drive.

So , when its all said and done you should really have one of each. :)

That may soon be the case. The new trannie tech out there is pretty amazing...dual clutch system that allows the best of both worlds. Think about it...paddle shifters on a Jeep...both hands always on the wheel and shift times down in the nano seconds. Hit a button on the dash and now you have a trannie that shifts itself. Haven't heard of these being used yet in off road vehicles but given time...:D

Ok I will admit going down steep hills is a drawback. I do use my breaks more than the stick guys. And since I'm oldschool my autos have always had shiftkits and such in them to make them work a little better. I forgot some people might run them stock.
Oh yea and who ever talked about being able to push start a stick that can be a big plus also if the starter goes out on you.
But after having owned a couple of each I still like my auto.

If I'm stuck in traffic I'd like to have an auto, but I'll keep the stick for wheeling:chug:

But it'll cost more than my Jeep and I wont be able to work on it. I do like the sound of it though. Best of both worlds and the paddle shifters would be nice.
That may soon be the case. The new trannie tech out there is pretty amazing...dual clutch system that allows the best of both worlds. Think about it...paddle shifters on a Jeep...both hands always on the wheel and shift times down in the nano seconds. Hit a button on the dash and now you have a trannie that shifts itself. Haven't heard of these being used yet in off road vehicles but given time...:D

But it'll cost more than my Jeep and I wont be able to work on it. I do like the sound of it though. Best of both worlds and the paddle shifters would be nice.
Give it some time. Some bright guy somewhere will pop up with a junk yard salvaged 'Audi' trans and figure out a way of sneaking it between the engine and the transfer case of a Jeep. As far as working on them.....geeez...I can't even begin to imagine what goes on inside on of those gear boxes.:confused:

I used to drive an auto but today i picked up my first manual jeep and have yet tried to hit any trails or rocks but im sure its more fun than an auto :)

I'll go manual any day. All my cars are manual, but the tow rig is an auto. I agree an auto is good in big city traffic. You guessed it, I don't live in the rat race anymore.

Never had a manual let me down in the woods. Ever had a friend that filled his auto up with water during a crossing? It isn't pretty.

Who wants to spend $1k-2k for a rebuild? That'll buy a lot of clutches.

Anybody can stomp on 1 skinny pedal, it takes skill to run 2.

I haver always prefered manuals, but recently I have driven some of the computer driven autos that amaze me.
the FJ Cruiser has a auto with 3 different programs for the tranny, regular, 4x4 and 4x4 low.
my Chrysler Crossfire has a Mercedes tranny that is so smooth I cannot feel it shift.
However, being a CJ kind of guy I prefer the control I have in a manual.

Auto is better going uphill. Manual is better going down.
Going up a steep slope you don't want to have to shift. With a manual you are forced to stick with one gear on the steeper hill climbs.
Going downhill the compression braking of a manual transmission is nice. You get much better control that if you have to use the brakes.
Having said that I prefer a manual transmission. I like everything manual - manual hubs, manual locker (cable actuated OX locker), manual transfer case (no push buttons on the dash). These are the reasons why I drive a '79 CJ5. Everything is manual and mechanical - few things are automatic or electrical. Keep it simple. Also I have better control over what each component is doing.

Auto for me. Couple reasons, quicker shifts if need be. And the wife can drive it off road as well.

This is a video of one of our club members. Hits reverse as the jeep stands on the spare tire and saves it from a rollover.

YouTube - standing a jeep on it's back wheels

I've driven both off road and I love my auto.:)
The only down fall is going down steep grades but in first it's not that bad, and makes up for it going up hills or rock crawling and even in the mud.
73cj, where you getten your trans rebuilt, 1-2k:eek: the last time i rebuilt a TH350 it cost me $300.

Most people don't rebuild their auto. Been there done that - I hate em.

91 Explorer = $1500
96 Sable =$1800
Accura TL =$4000

A lot of guys can tackle a manual or clutch job. Swap in a junk yard auto and who knows how long it last?

Can't handle 2 pedals at the same time? Getting old? Put fuel injection on and you won't stall out at the top of the hill. I might consider an auto when I can't anymore. Some women who can't handle a stick might be better off in the passenger seat.

A paddle shifter? Who racing here? Bet I can hit the clutch faster than shifting into reverse.

Can't handle 2 pedals at the same time? Getting old? Put fuel injection on and you won't stall out at the top of the hill. I might consider an auto when I can't anymore. Some women who can't handle a stick might be better off in the passenger seat.

A paddle shifter? Who racing here? Bet I can hit the clutch faster than shifting into reverse.
Power steering, power brakes, electric starters, TV remotes, indoor plumbing...where do you want to draw the line? At one time, some these items were seen as a sure step into vehicle sissyhood. Auto's and dual clutch systems are continuing to offer much larger gains in vehicle performance and driver safety/comfort (paddle shifters allow both hands to remain on the wheel at all times...hard to find fault with that). Many enjoy the manual more....hard to find fault with that also...drive whichever makes you happiest. Driver preference is one thing...turning a vehicle into a better and more capable machine is quite another. Having 3 pedals on the floor and one hand on the shifter instead of on the wheel is a decided handicap in most situations....and many happily accept that just to have a more connected feel with their vehicle. Thats great...all power to them...I enjoy that feeling too.

Most people don't rebuild their auto. Been there done that - I hate em.

91 Explorer = $1500
96 Sable =$1800
Accura TL =$4000

A lot of guys can tackle a manual or clutch job. Swap in a junk yard auto and who knows how long it last?

Your talking about front wheel drive trans. with over drive here. Yes they are expenceve to rebuild.
I'm talking about the old 3 speed trans that came in jeeps (tf727-th400) they are cheap and easy to rebuild.
The fact that you say you can hit the clutch before someone else hits reverse show you don't understand that you NEED to hit reverse.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks