Difference in 8" and 10" rims

Difference in 8" and 10" rims

loki4606

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
I have a '85 CJ7, '07 BMW 335I, 2010 Nissan Altima
Hey brothers.. I am a newby here and with Jeeps. I bought my first one a 85 CJ7. It currently has 33x12.50x15LT tires and 15in MT rims. I was told that tires for 15's are phasing out and I need to get 16in rims now. ( I am looking to replace the ones I have for a nicer style). Is there really a phase out of 15's?

Second.. Do I have 10in wide rims now. Do I need 10in wide rims or will 8in wide rims work with 31 or 33x12.50 tires? I do about 75% street and 25% off road driving. I dont need Swampers on mine so I was seeing what size and rim size I need to order before buying something I will regret. I appreciate the advice from you all.

V,r..

Loki

Either 8" or 10" wheels will work with 12.5 wide tires so what ever you like best.
As far as I know the 15" tire is alive and well.

I think the variety of 15" tires exceeds the other sizes and is not going away overnight so I would call whatever you herd BS.
If you plan to go to a 31" tire I would go with a 8" wheel myself but as Old Dog said "Either 8" or 10" wheels will work with 12.5 wide tires so what ever you like best."

I agree with an 8" rim the side wall will have a larger bulge to it and the 10" will have a flatter side wall...I have 8" rims and 33's on my truck and I think I would prefer a 10" rim :chug:

I do about 75% street and 25% off road driving.

What kinda off roading is it when you do go? Do air down your tires? I would recommend going with 8" if you do. If you just do mild trails and have no need o air down then either would work. 8" rim will hold the bead better with low air pressure, 10"will "look" better.

Off roading would consist of small trails to go back to go mountain biking. I am in southern Alabama so no rock climbing for me. So 31" or 33" x 10.50/12.50 will work well on 15x8 or 16x8 rims? Thanks for the help.

Re: Difference in 8" and 10" rims UPDATE

Update..

I went with 15x10 for the 33x12.50x15 tires I have currently. The Off Road Jeep guy told me that since the Jeep has been on these tires for 2 years that they are "formed" to the 10" rim and dropping to a 8" rim would wear them down way faster. Plus he said since I do more street driving I would have better stability on freeway,etc...Thanks for the help.

Oh and I bought a Warn front bumper too.. I have a double tube front bumper if anyones looking to buy one.

LOKI

Re: Difference in 8" and 10" rims UPDATE

15's are here to stay and many vehicles still come with 15 inch rims as stock equipment. Who ever said that must read too many internet forums.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom