Members CJs My 83 CJ7

Members CJs My 83 CJ7

Kurtsara

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ7 with a Ford 351W, auto transmission
I had a 78 CJ7 30 years ago and put a snow plow on it and plowed for a few years, go sick of plowing so I sold the Jeep, as soon as the new owner drove away I knew I should have sold the plow and kept the CJ.

Fast forward to March of 2012, my son lives north of me and drives by a auction house and he stopped in and took a couple pics of a blue Cj they had there, I thought why not go have a look at the auction on Saturday.

It would not start, dead battery, so nobody at the auction knew if it ran or not, it has a 1978 351 Windsor, automatic tranny, lincoln locker in the rear, full roll cage tied to the frame.

2 guys were bidding on it and they bid up to $1650.00 then one guy backed out and I jumped in and ended up getting it for $2200.00

Here is a couple pictures of it in the auction yard.

When I brought it home we took the hard top and doors off and put them for sale, I don't care for a hard top and doors on a CJ, there was a bikini top laying in the back with the windshield tracks so we put that on, had to tie the back straps because there were no footman loops.

We had to jump the battery and air up the front right tire to get the Jeep home.

The battery was dead at the auction yard because the alternator was bad, we had it rebuilt and has worked perfect so far.

Then we took the seats and carpeting out, about an oaks tree worth of leaves inside, we knew we didn't want carpet so we decide on Herculiner.

Last edited:
We patched some holes in the floor and sanded everything and then did about 3 coats of Herculiner.

I also sanded a bondo patch on each side below the door hinge and bought precut diamond plate from Discount Steel for $52.00 to cover under the doors

We also bought front and rear seat covers, the drivers seat was torn up real bad, the wife took some foam from a couple case from pistols i have bought and patched it up.

I also had to change the shocks, the tubes were all crushed, and the stock dash had a few round rust spots like a orbital sander was used on it so over this past winter I pulled the old dash and replaced it with a polished stainless steel dash. It did not go as easy as I thought because of the full roll cage, had to drop the whole steering column to do it.

We also had to put a new glove box liner in because mice took care of the old one.

I have been just driving the Jeep around town or out to our sons and daughters houses.

I decided to try the off road with it and we had a great time and were thrilled with the way the Jeep handled, I had the neighbor cut out the lincoln locker, to much tire chirping taking turns, now I want to put a locker in, front or rear I have not decided yet.

After a couple days of wheeling in Dresser I know I want a locker, probably the front, I disconnected the sway bars last weekend, I had knee surgery a couple weeks ago so I have not been able to do much and this is the only place I could check the flex.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks