Rubicon Trail - July 4th 2014 Report

Rubicon Trail - July 4th 2014 Report

JR74CJ5

Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ 4" Lift Spring Conversion
Hi all,

Sorry so long, and still don't have "all: the pictures to do full report.

Cool Photo from the trail:

IMG_0267_zps6e7c0ff1.jpg

Here are a few videos to check out from the trail.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here is some carnage! Yes I know we all love carnage :drool::D

I flopped just enough to hit my passenger roll bar on a rock and bounce back upright on a "cliff" clime on the way out. (have a video of the end of it, but haven't "got" it yet from Aunt / Uncle) - At some point I was on 1 of 4 wheels and my chrome-molly rear axle made a loud pop! So I disconnected the rear drive shaft and drove out on front Dana 30 (with a tug here and there from my uncle are harder parts). FYI the open front Dana 30 without upgrades held up beautifully :cool:

But the next morning I jacked up the rear end and this is what I found:

And after removal:

IMG_0282_zpse02871af.jpg

IMG_0281_zps4693122e.jpg

IMG_0283_zps6a9f4fdf.jpg

The splines had completely shattered and the bearing and retainer plate were just about to let the whole wheel and remaining shaft (and brakes) fly off into the forest with me close behind :eek:;)

But I ran back to Sacramento, picked up a spare (the stock) axle from my garage already set up and ready to go, and got it replaced and rolling by 2PM.

More to come when I get over to my Uncles and get his photos / videos from GoPro etc.

:chug:
~ Jr

PS: we did not make it to Buck island again. We were close but again it was getting late in the afternoon, and the trail back was getting longer and longer the further we went. We'll need to take a minimal camp gear trip across the rubicon when ready to run the whole trail. I did not break this axle until the return trip back and it was because i chose the wrong line...

The new SM420 and suspension are awesome, and My girl was doing great! Very happy with the trip and Jeeps performance overall.

Getting closer ;)

Tough break there JR, maybe more spare parts and tools next time. That sure is a lot of granite ain't it? For me it is an 8 hour trip just to get to So. Lake Tahoe

As much as I would not want to live in California I wish this trail was just 8 hours away from me.:cool:

Tough break there JR, maybe more spare parts and tools next time. That sure is a lot of granite ain't it? For me it is an 8 hour trip just to get to So. Lake Tahoe

Always have plenty of tools ;) The Part i agree I got lazy on. I used to bring it every trip to at least main camp, but this time just assumed hey I have chrome mollys in the back, they wont break... lol :D

As much as I would not want to live in California I wish this trail was just 8 hours away from me.:cool:

It's only 2.5 to 3 hrs from me to trail heads ;):D

r6liYms8QMof2E9iNpfd.gif

Last edited:
Looks like a lot of fun JR, well, except for the break. Thanks for sharing.

Question - How did you get the other end of the shaft out? Did you have to pull the Diff. cover and poke it out somehow?

Question - How did you get the other end of the shaft out? Did you have to pull the Diff. cover and poke it out somehow?

Exactly...

Had to pull shaft, pull diff cover, then used bailing wire folded over 4 times with paper towels bundled on the end like cue tip - fed from the diff center to outter tube and fished it into the tube to drag from the center out the tube, then fished the remaining small pieces out with sweeping motions.

Then put it all back together and whalla! :chug:

Got lucky no damage done to spiders or R&P gears.

So just for reference, you can see i got held up sideways in the little sluice in a few of my videos, ended up bailing out to try to go further (was on time limit).

Here are two videos - 1st is like my videos but gives a good view of the little sluice currently. (not me - random video on you tube)

Here is a video of it before trail work was done.

A lot of people are angry at the work that was done, and I understand why, but also figure it was necessary from what i have seen.

I also know the little sluice as it was before would have been an awesome challenge to attempt.

Just a little insight to the trail politics going on around here, and the casualties of the battle to keep it open.

Your "on the con" reporter for Jeep-CJ.com :D

:chug: - Jr

little sluice would be one of those places I would have to just set and watch from the work around.:eek:

that was unbelievable!

I am a pansy I guess, because I just don't get it at all. Well, if it were a race where the vehicle is expendible the ability to find enough traction to move at all is amazing.

You sent in some really great stuff from your adventure there JR, so what's next? Have you considered the Western Sierra like the Dusy-Ershim and the trails in that area? Hedgehog, there is a lot more to the "con" than the Little Sluice, besides it has a "Go around". I especially like the great campspots that it provides.

You sent in some really great stuff from your adventure there JR, so what's next? Have you considered the Western Sierra like the Dusy-Ershim and the trails in that area? Hedgehog, there is a lot more to the "con" than the Little Sluice, besides it has a "Go around". I especially like the great campspots that it provides.

I would love to run Barrett Lake trail, and funny thing is I just stumbled upon the name dusty ershim today! I looked at it and it looks sweet! Would enjoy running most any trails, even the less "challenging" ones, but enjoy the rock crawling big time. Thinking Fordyce trail next. Probably with a group that knows it, or the sierra trek next year.

I'm just getting started ;):rolleyes:

Thats the thing, I'd love to see the country, but I'd have to take the drive around most every time. I do agree, JR great posts!

Thats the thing, I'd love to see the country, but I'd have to take the drive around most every time. I do agree, JR great posts!

Hedge, your Jeep would make it through damn near everything mine would :chug:

Jr. Thanks for the great trail report.:chug:
It's to bad about little slice, it looks like it was a great technical trail, to bad they made it into what looks like a rocky road. I see no need when they have a bypass.

JR - yeah, mine could do it, especially if I put some sort of locker in the front, that isn't the point though. I'm not afraid of physical injury or my jeeps inability to get it done, it's breakin' stuff and dents that make me say, "no, not today." But, I bet if I were actually there it would be like a Toby Keith song, "my mind says, "you can't do this boy." but my pride says, "Oh yes you can."" ...... all that aside, great thread, nice pictures.

Thinking Fordyce trail next. Probably with a group that knows it, or the sierra trek next year.

I'm just getting started ;):rolleyes:
Fordyce! SERIOUS trail. Three deep water crossings and you WILL be using your winch in at least one place. Good idea do it with a couple of other vehicles, preferably with prior experience. Lockers fore and aft recommended. The trail is rated a 10 on a scale of 1-10.

JR - yeah, mine could do it, especially if I put some sort of locker in the front, that isn't the point though. I'm not afraid of physical injury or my jeeps inability to get it done, it's breakin' stuff and dents that make me say, "no, not today." But, I bet if I were actually there it would be like a Toby Keith song, "my mind says, "you can't do this boy." but my pride says, "Oh yes you can."" ...... all that aside, great thread, nice pictures.

I completely understand ;) I keep hoping to see Bill (Billycup) up there one day with that sweet CJ with 3's all over it :D :cool: Where you at Bill?? :poke:

Fordyce! SERIOUS trail. Three deep water crossings and you WILL be using your winch in at least one place. Good idea do it with a couple of other vehicles, preferably with prior experience. Lockers fore and aft recommended. The trail is rated a 10 on a scale of 1-10.

Yeah I've seen a lot on the trail from that "other" 4x4 site ;)

Would love to find a good group of guys to go with, or like I said just wait for sierra trek for the first time.

Either way... one day. :chug::drool:

Every one should grab a rock on the way thru and dig the sluice back out.
Love it, was supposed to go this year but __it happens.
In Oregon, we have a County park (Shot Gun Creek), Forest Service roads & trails or Private Property, I am 238 miles from CA border.
Thanks.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks