Simplicity

Simplicity

Arizona Joe

Jeeper
Thanks
I'd like to hear some opinions.

I used to own a CJ, now I own a TJ. While I miss the simplicity of the CJ, the TJ is a lot more comfortable in my opinion, with a superior suspension.

My only beef with the TJ, and any "modern" style design is that it is so complicated that diagnosing, and fixing, a problem when 300 miles from anywhere is impossible.

So here are a few questions (I had no luck with a search):

Is there a way to keep fuel injection but eliminate all the computer stuff and endless wires of the modern system?

Has anyone stripped their TJ of all the nightmarish wires, computers, etc. and kept the engine running with a simpler, reliable, easy to diagnose/fix setup?

Fuel injection runs off a computer, I doubt you could eliminate it easily/cheaply.
Also I doubt you could eliminate too many of the wires running the engine without totally replacing major parts = lots of hassles and it wont be as well running as before.
Just MHO, of course.

If you buy a OBDII code reader, it will tell you what is wrong with the vehicle easily enough. Getting that sensor replaced 300 miles from anywhere could be a problem tho. Then again a simple dual flat tire scenario will net the same result if you dont carry 2 spares or the tools to plug one....

Fuel injection runs off a computer, I doubt you could eliminate it easily/cheaply.
Also I doubt you could eliminate too many of the wires running the engine without totally replacing major parts = lots of hassles and it wont be as well running as before.

To add to this, without stripping the entire factory wiring harness and starting all over again with a custom made harness, and custom flashed/designed computer, could you achieve this goal. The factory computer is unfortunately so intertwined and dependent on all of the other sensors, and in some cases other computers, that removing even one part may render the entire system useless.

IMO, the only somewhat sane way off accomplishing what you are thinking about would be to graft a CJ (or maybe an early YJ) on to a TJ frame. TJ chasis and body, with an early carburated YJ or a CJ drivetrain in it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks