KRUPP

Jeeper
Gold Supporter
Donator
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 Laredo
258 w/Howell e.f.i., HEI Ign, Dana 44 Front w/Detroit, Dana 44 Rear w/Detroit
Been searching for the little plastic “Allen Heads” that go on the steering wheel horn button. Other than the $200 o.e.m. horn buttons on EBay, is there another source out there?
Suppose I could always buy some Allen head bolts and make ‘em fit. But, thought I’d float the question here first.
IMG_7107.png
IMG_7106.jpeg

I got the whole works and shipping for some less than that. I specially ask for one that the black grip was in poor shape since it was getting reworked.9C52CAAD-7FCA-43D8-95BB-6BA0016702B0.jpeg8EDB6910-69B1-41A5-A72B-978DBECB2517.jpeg

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas.
I’ll let you know what I find.

It has been over 11 years since I rebuilt my CJ7, but I had the same issue that you have. I found that the steel socket head screw was almost identical to the OEM plastic screw and used it. My son has my CJ at his house or else I would have sent you a picture. This is not the exact kit that I used, only included it as an example (you can get just the single screw that you need).

1711210043019.png

After some more searching, I ended up using 5/16” Socket Cap screws (Allen Heads) that I found matched almost perfectly. Dug through several stores’ hardware bins.
Had to cut them down to about 1/4” of thread left. Also, removed the hard plastic plate which snaps onto the horn cup and gently drilled and tapped it’s existing holes to accept the new 5/16” screws. Original plastic screws are only about 1/8” dia.
Turned out nice for a morning’s chore.
IMG_7109.jpeg
IMG_7110.jpeg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom