stock wheels for cj6

stock wheels for cj6

steve o

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1973cj6 rhd
hi , im looking to put stock steel wheels on my 73 cj6, rim size i know is 16x6. does anyone know the tallest tyre i can put on these without any problems, it will help raising the gearing for the roads here in the uk (not a lot of mountains round here!) the cj is all standard with no lift.
thanks steve o

hi , im looking to put stock steel wheels on my 73 cj6, rim size i know is 16x6. does anyone know the tallest tyre i can put on these without any problems, it will help raising the gearing for the roads here in the uk (not a lot of mountains round here!) the cj is all standard with no lift.
thanks steve o

Are you sure about the 16" size?

well i was ! maybe not now........according to my reading(robert ackersons book) they came with 16 inch steel rims from the factory.....:confused:

yep, just looked at the book again, the cj 6 and the 5 for that matter took a tyre 6.00X16, dont now know if that changed over the years of production but i need to go for the tallest wheel and tyre combination i can, my 6 has non standard 15 s on at the moment with a total height of 28 inches, its preety frantic through the gears and i want to up gear as much as i can for the road:chug:

after a bit of research , here in the uk i can get suzuki steel wheels in 15x6 or 16x7 that will fit the cj hubs, the only difference is the offset, the table says the jeep wheel offset is code L :confused: what does that mean, from what i can see the suzuki wheel has no code, so no offset ? if i got the 15x6 a 195/80 tyre will fit giving a rolling diameter of 31.5 inches, if i go for the 7 inch rims will a 205/85 tyre fit that wheel?? if it does this will give a rolling diameter of 33.5 inches, will i get any problems if i fit this height tyre to a standard jeep ?? my head hurts after all that:D think i need a beer:chug:

the conclusion so far........ over here in the uk i can get a 195/80 r15 for a cheap price, this will give a diameter of 31.5 inches,the chart in the post above says i can only go to 31 without a lift, will i get away with the extra .5 inch ??? or do i defo need to do a 2 inch lift , the truck body is off now so i cant measure, so maybe i should do the lift anyways, now just need to find out about offset of suzuki wheels........another day;)

The link you provided shows cJ wheels with 4.5" backspace, My original steel wagon type wheel has 3.75" backspace. As for the 16", are you looking at export or US models? Military models usually have 16's but never any civilian models here in the US.

well i was ! maybe not now........according to my reading(robert ackersons book) they came with 16 inch steel rims from the factory.....:confused:

i have that book TOO. i read it so much i could tell you whats on each page!:chug:

i have that book TOO. i read it so much i could tell you whats on each page!:chug:

then tell me it says 16 inch wheels as standard !!;) anyway , 15 s or 16 s it doesnt really matter, whats more important is the diameter of tyre that i can fit in without causing any probs, i suppose as the body is off the chassie i could do a small lift , 1 inch, if this will help, could anyone out there with a completly standard cj 5 or 6 have a measure up and give me there opinion on how high i can go, 31.5 ? 32 ? 33?? many thanks , steve ooo:chug:

DSC01154.jpg

DSC01156.jpg had a look at my wheels today, measured the rims and they are 16 x 8 , however the tyre says 15......how does that work:confused:??

Well i do not know about export Jeeps, but over here, we ran 15s. heres another thing to consider, 16 inch tires are more expensive when it come to oversize tires, than the standard 15. like i said i do not know what the exports ran, all i know is we ran 15s

View attachment 6715

View attachment 6716 had a look at my wheels today, measured the rims and they are 16 x 8 , however the tyre says 15......how does that work:confused:??

You are not measuring the rim correctly, you measure at the tire bead so you have 15" on there.
Even if they were the 16" version they are only 4.5" wide and would leave you with very few options for tires, they were made for the narrow NDT military tires.

Your CJ6 would have came with either of these in 15", most likely the first one.

Attachments

• P1010805.jpg
    P1010805.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 393
  • P1010806.jpg
    P1010806.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 586
sas, many thanks for your info:chug: 15 s it is then! think i ll stick with these wheels for now then if they give me more tyre choice, and keep a look out over here for the standard steel 15 s which i prefer the look of.
still after some measurements from any of you guys as to how tall i can go with tyres and not get any clearance issues , no serious off roading here so can run quite close;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom