thornbirds ?

thornbirds ?
I will take this as a positive opinion.:cool:

The SSR is like it's cousin the TSL radial. The big difference between the two is the SSR has a tighter tread pattern and are siped a little better.

They were the answer to the TSL radial...trying to get a little more street friendly tire. My opinion is it was wasted development. The TSL radial is plenty quiet on the road, wears great, and is excellent offroad.

I ran them for several years in 32" and 33" flavors.

I will take this as a positive opinion.:cool:

Actually...I prefer the TSL radial (that's what I ran). I was never impressed with the clean-out ability of the SSR in mud.

Hey jim why the radials? I run a set of TSL bias plys I love mine I have them on my hunting rig.

interco also came out with trxus MT's a bunch of years ago. Tires work great.

Hey jim why the radials? I run a set of TSL bias plys I love mine I have them on my hunting rig.

Back when I first got my CJ I picked up a set of slightly used 32" TSL radials for almost nothing. These things went 30,000 daily driven miles before I retired them :eek: So I purchased another set with the same results. When I stepped up to 33's I decided to give them another go and was equally impressed with longevity and on/off road performance. I consistently got around 30k out of these.

I run 36" biasply TSL's now (because I always wanted them) and for offroad performance, I wouldnt trade them for anything...They are flat out awesome :cool: And contrary to belief, they are pretty decent on the road also...just have to get past the occasional flat-spotting.

With any TSL (bias or radial), the key to making them survive is proper and frequent tire rotation and running the correct pressure on pavement.

interco also came out with trxus MT's a bunch of years ago. Tires work great.

I've looked at these tires on and off over the years and I like the use of siping on them especially. I think they would be a great all around tire to run, but again, the tighter tread pattern leaves me wondering about offroad performance particularly in mud or wet trails. Maybe Im just spoiled on my Biasply TSL's...:rolleyes:

R4EJ5eRoHRDncJxyyRZrKOAcsn9m16pQOZvlbIhM37WCqGjCF4.jpg

The STS version of the TrXus however is one that I compare with Thornbirds....what was Interco thinking???!? They really dont have any decent characteristics to be a decent on-road tire, and they sure arent designed to perform offroad. :(

images

I saw these things firsthand when Jerry ran the 42's on his Scrambler (Interco just gives him tires to play with:rolleyes: ) They sucked in the mud, didnt provide enough tread for rocks, and the only thing they did well on the snow was float over it (with 600hp turning them frantically).
I think they would be great in the sand...and that's about i.

Back when I first got my CJ I picked up a set of slightly used 32" TSL radials for almost nothing. These things went 30,000 daily driven miles before I retired them :eek: So I purchased another set with the same results. When I stepped up to 33's I decided to give them another go and was equally impressed with longevity and on/off road performance. I consistently got around 30k out of these.

I run 36" biasply TSL's now (because I always wanted them) and for offroad performance, I wouldnt trade them for anything...They are flat out awesome :cool: And contrary to belief, they are pretty decent on the road also...just have to get past the occasional flat-spotting.

With any TSL (bias or radial), the key to making them survive is proper and frequent tire rotation and running the correct pressure on pavement.

Thanks for the info!! I've run bias TSL on my hunting truck I've got 15000 miles on mine probably have a little under half tread left. Your right about the tire rotation and psi. Plus I'm noticed if you stay under 65 mph they last longer.

What pressure do you run your 36" bias ply tsl's, I have a set on my CJ8 on 10" rims & wondering if their ok for long trips on the hwy or will they get to hot & blow out, I'm running 24psi on the street & 8 off road, waiting on bead locks so I can go down to 2-4psi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What pressure do you run your 36" bias ply tsl's, I have a set on my CJ8 on 10" rims & wondering if their ok for long trips on the hwy or will they get to hot & blow out, I'm running 24psi on the street & 8 off road, waiting on bead locks so I can go down to 2-4psi

I run anywhere between 22 and 24 lbs on the street. I air down to between 5 and 8 lbs offroad. These are on 15x8 rims, no beadlocks. I have never lost a bead at that pressure range.

They will be just fine on the highway. They are DOT approved and will hold up to long trips.

I thought I had a really sweet deal on a set of 33" SSR's, way too good to pass up but someone beat me to it. Such is life. After a bit of reading, Propaganda mostly, I am torn between the radial TSL and the Goodrich mud terrain radial. I have always loved the Goodrich AT's and they are definitely lighter than the TSL's.
It would also be important to remember that I don't profess to drive a lunar rover. :D

I run anywhere between 22 and 24 lbs on the street. I air down to between 5 and 8 lbs offroad. These are on 15x8 rims, no beadlocks. I have never lost a bead at that pressure range.

They will be just fine on the highway. They are DOT approved and will hold up to long trips.

Thanks, that makes me feel a bit more confidant in driving them on the road

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom