1965 cj5 drive train swap

i want to put gm 10 bolt axles, 4.3 liter v6, 700r4 Transmission , and np 205 Transfer Case in my stock 1965 CJ5 .

How hard of a swap would this be? Any info would help thanks.

IMHO You could move the mounting location forward of stock to mitigate the short drive shaft issues.
I'd get out my tape measure. You'll definitely need some welding skills.
The reason the factory made the 13" longer wheelbase CJ7 was to use the longer automatic Transmission .

how short would the drive shaft be? Also would it be easier to install a sm465 manual Transmission . Rather than the 700r4?

with the radiator sitting so far away from the grill. Is there room for a small block v8?
That is kinda like asking if some one lives on the left or the right side of the road... It really depends on where you are coming from and going to! ;)

What are your intents for this CJ?

Just trying to help.... :)

how short would the drive shaft be? Also would it be easier to install a sm465 manual Transmission . Rather than the 700r4?

It would be close to nonexistent. Yes it would be much easier to install a SM 465.

with the radiator sitting so far away from the grill. Is there room for a small block v8?

There have been many smallblock chevy's installed in pre 71' CJ5 's with SM 465's.

i want to put gm 10 bolt axles, 4.3 liter v6, 700r4 Transmission , and np 205 Transfer Case in my stock 1965 CJ5 .

Do you have a donor vehicle in mind, or is there another reason you've picked these parts?:confused:

Nate, step back and put down that magazine, you have been reading way to much of the current propaganda to sell parts called journalism these days.
Do you know anything about GM 10 bolts? Do you mean 14 bolt?
your 80 inch wheel based jeep with c channel frame will be ripped to pieces by the terrain and tires you will need to just justify the change. A change to full floating the rear D 44 would give you a better option with out the hassles you are looking into.
ok here goes, the drive train change you want will cost bundles in adapters and then again you only have a 80 inch wheelbase, So the length may be a deciding factor, drive line angles and such will be extreme and just to get that system not to vibrate the drive shaft to death would be a problem.
I mean you just have no room.
If you want modern, and I mean not the double offset system you have
first, go Dana 30 , from a CJ wide track and a Dana 44 center pumpkin, get a Dana 20 Transfer Case and low gear it, put the 4.3 into the beast and a th350 short shaft, Now that will fit and you will not have a reason to think bad about it.
Remember you only have a 80 inch wheelbase, and a c channel frame.

Nate, step back and put down that magazine, you have been reading way to much of the current propaganda to sell parts called journalism these days.
your 80 inch wheel based jeep with c channel frame will be ripped to pieces by the terrain and tires you will need to just justify the change. A change to full floating the rear D 44 would give you a better option with out the hassles you are looking into.
ok here goes, the drive train change you want will cost bundles in adapters and then again you only have a 80 inch wheelbase, So the length may be a deciding factor, drive line angles and such will be extreme and just to get that system not to vibrate the drive shaft to death would be a problem.
first, go Dana 30 , from a CJ wide track and a Dana 44 center pumpkin, get a Dana 20 Transfer Case and low gear it, put the 4.3 into the beast and a th350 short shaft, Now that will fit and you will not have a reason to think bad about it.

a 10 bolt is chevy's equivalent of a Dana 44 .
It has similar size ring & pinion. Also similar sized axles.

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna box the frame. As far as the parts go. I figured that with all gm parts everything will work together with no extra exspense on adapters..

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna box the frame. As far as the parts go. I figured that with all gm parts everything will work together with no extra exspense on adapters..
Only if you get them to fit each other, there are a lot of different factors to consider, outshaft length and spline count, bushings, bolt patterns, I mean just because GM made it, (NP 205 not gm)does not mean it is not a different variation. I know the wranglers with NP231s use 2 different input shafts not compaitible with each other.

I would not use the 10 bolt chevy's your asking for problems.
Baja is right Dana 44 's would be better for this application.
Parts availability is greater they are stronger.
No adapter necessary. Same with the SM 465.
If I were doing the swap, I would use a Dana 300 or Dana model 20 T-case.
The model 20 T-case is shorter so probably to better choice, unless you can source an early short output Dana 300 .

will the diff be on the correct side if it comes out of a jeep wagoneer.

It depends on what T-case you use.
If the Wagoneer is a Q-trac it will have a offset rear.

I'm just trying to rebuild it and make road worthy for a DD. I want more power and a strong enough drive train to turnover 35's with out constantly breaking axles.

I've been a welder and fabricator for 13 years. So i can build just about anything i need. But as far as drive train combinations go I'm just starting.

You guys seem to know alot about drive train combinations. So if you know what axles, engine, Transfer Case and Transmission i should use for this 65 CJ5 I'm open to suggestions. thanks

I'm just trying to rebuild it and make road worthy for a DD. I want more power and a strong enough drive train to turnover 35's with out constantly breaking axles.

I've been a welder and fabricator for 13 years. So i can build just about anything i need. But as far as drive train combinations go I'm just starting.

You guys seem to know alot about drive train combinations. So if you know what axles, engine, Transfer Case and Transmission i should use for this 65 CJ5 I'm open to suggestions. thanks

You can look at my rig, I'm all about swapping parts.
IMHO the 4.3 V6, SM465, Dana 20 ,300 & Dana 44 axles would make a great daily drive. My rig is a DD too.:D

You can look at my rig, I'm all about swapping parts.
IMHO the 4.3 V6, SM465, Dana 20 ,300 & Dana 44 axles would make a great daily drive. My rig is a DD too.:D

BTW if you could find a SM 420 would be even better due to shorter length.;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom