1972 cj5 trans swap

1972 cj5 trans swap

bubba65

Jeeper
Thanks
hi guys i am new to jeeps and have a 1972 jeep CJ5 with 304 v8 and t18? 3 speed tranny, Dana 20 trasfer case i would like to swap over to a auto trans but don't know where to start and how much work is invoulved,
i know that amc put tubo 400 in there fls wagoneers and that the adapter plates are still around, but i did not know how much fab work would be involved due the shortness of the cj 5 if any one has in info would be
much apprecated.

The best option is a TH350 you can get the whole adapter setup from novak adapters.
It's pricier than other options but it's probably the easiest. And trust me easy is
always better than cheap/hard. The aggrivation saved will make up for the cost.
It's also your shortest option. The 400 will be to long.

Hello bubba65 and welcome to the site! :chug:

As the owner a 72 CJ I can tell you swapping in an auto into that 5 is going to be tight. The rear drive shaft will be severely compromised but... I have done this before with pretty good results (a th350 - not a 400).

Our first swap was a disaster as the rear shaft kept tearing up u-joints (CV drive shafts were not that common). We learned allot from the trials and failures. The next swap was pretty successful but still had a few problems with the rear drive shaft. We moved the engine forwards and used a homemade CV.

If I were going to go through the trouble of swapping in a auto, I would move the engine and trans forward as far as I could, and get a good CV form a vendor like Tom Woods.

Your 3 speed is a T-150, not a T-18. A CJ5 is not really set up for using an auto tranny because of It's short length. So if you do it, buy lots of U-joints, you're prolly gonna be good at replacing them.:D

Your 3 speed is a T-150, not a T-18. A CJ5 is not really set up for using an auto tranny because of It's short length. So if you do it, buy lots of U-joints, you're prolly gonna be good at replacing them.:D

X2 on that. That's exactly why Jeep made the CJ7.

thank guys for the info what 5 speed or 4 speed would be recomended for the CJ5 i know that muncie 4 is to be good but 5 speeds don't know about
i might just stay with the 3 speed for now.

I vote for a T18 four speed... You won't get the overdrive of the 5 speed but if you select the correct t18 you'll get one heck of a granny gear and it is a popular swap.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$110.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks