crumrill

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1957 cj 5 willys original
1975 cj5- lifted AMC 360
1999 Jeep cherokee ( mud jeep)
2002 wrangler Tj off rd
I have a 75 CJ5- Lifted with an AMC 360 , 3 sp- Ft/ Rear axels out of a scrambler---- Tranny is very noisy and can't find 1 or parts for it------------I want to put an automatic in it BUT nobody can tell me what would bolt up to the AMC 360- ANy ideas?

Its gonna be hard for you to put an automatic trans in that short little CJ5. Most automatic transmissions are long enough that when coupled with a transfer case the rear driveshaft is too short to work at a decent angle. Your probably better off looking for a strong 4 spd trans to back the 360.

An AMC TH400 will bolt up to any AMC V8 but Petecj is correct, the rear driveline will be too short in a CJ5 if you add the auto. It can be done in a CJ7 as they are 10” longer than the 5. If stock you should have a T-15 if the jeep originally came with an AMC 304, if not it could be a T14, either way parts are readily available. (Assumes the PO didn't change it out that is) If you decide to go with a replacement manual transmission such as a T18 the bell housing will need to be changed; which one will depend upon which T18 you use, CJ or Ford.

Chrysler 904/999 or even a 727
I've seen them all installed in CJ5's.
It can be done with careful engineering.
If I recall the 727 install kicks the front driveshaft out for pan clearance; so you most likely will need to fab a two piece front drive shaft, using a pillow block or something similar.

Chrysler 904/999 or even a 727
I've seen them all installed in CJ5's.
It can be done with careful engineering.
If I recall the 727 install kicks the front driveshaft out for pan clearance; so you most likely will need to fab a two piece front drive shaft, using a pillow block or something similar.

Stuffing an automatic transmission into a CJ5 is a classic example off “just because you can doesn’t mean you should”. I’ve seen it done too but…

did you try quadratec? or4wd.com? i have a three speed in my 78 cj and they both have parts for it.

Might be better off finding a whole tranny. T-15 or a T18 (4sp). They are out there. Sounds like yours could be spendy to buy piece parts. :D

Np435 is what I'm running behind my 360, with a d300, I have a turbo 400 that will bolt up to a amc 360 but like stated before, too short of a driveshaft will be ur issue

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$210.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks