crumrill

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1957 cj 5 willys original
1975 cj5- lifted AMC 360
1999 Jeep cherokee ( mud jeep)
2002 wrangler Tj off rd
I have a 75 CJ5 - Lifted with an AMC 360 , 3 sp- Ft/ Rear axels out of a scrambler---- Tranny is very noisy and can't find 1 or parts for it------------I want to put an automatic in it BUT nobody can tell me what would bolt up to the AMC 360- ANy ideas?

Its gonna be hard for you to put an automatic Transmission in that short little CJ5 . Most automatic transmissions are long enough that when coupled with a Transfer Case the rear driveshaft is too short to work at a decent angle. Your probably better off looking for a strong 4 spd Transmission to back the 360.

An AMC GM Turbo 400 will bolt up to any AMC V8 but Petecj is correct, the rear driveline will be too short in a CJ5 if you add the auto. It can be done in a CJ7 as they are 10” longer than the 5. If stock you should have a T-15 if the jeep originally came with an AMC 304 , if not it could be a T-14 , either way parts are readily available. (Assumes the PO didn't change it out that is) If you decide to go with a replacement manual Transmission such as a T-18 the bell housing will need to be changed; which one will depend upon which T-18 you use, CJ or Ford.

Chrysler 904/999 or even a 727
I've seen them all installed in CJ5 's.
It can be done with careful engineering.
If I recall the 727 install kicks the front driveshaft out for pan clearance; so you most likely will need to fab a two piece front drive shaft, using a pillow block or something similar.

Chrysler 904/999 or even a 727
I've seen them all installed in CJ5 's.
It can be done with careful engineering.
If I recall the 727 install kicks the front driveshaft out for pan clearance; so you most likely will need to fab a two piece front drive shaft, using a pillow block or something similar.

Stuffing an automatic Transmission into a CJ5 is a classic example off “just because you can doesn’t mean you should”. I’ve seen it done too but…

did you try quadratec? or4wd.com? i have a three speed in my 78 cj and they both have parts for it.

Might be better off finding a whole tranny. T-15 or a T-18 (4sp). They are out there. Sounds like yours could be spendy to buy piece parts. :D

Np435 is what I'm running behind my 360, with a Dana 300 , I have a GM Turbo 400 that will bolt up to a amc 360 but like stated before, too short of a driveshaft will be ur issue

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom