1979 cj-7 304 automatic-good transmission or not?

1979 cj-7 304 automatic-good transmission or not?

sr65

Jeeper
Thanks
I'am looking at possibley buying a 1979 CJ7 with a AMC 304 engine and automatic Transmission . My question is this? Is this a pretty good Transmission that holds up pretty well to light use and hopefully want give any trouble down the road trouble? Or should I just stick to the 3 speeds manuel Transmission jeeps? This is a pretty nice jeep with around 90,000 original miles on it I think. It looks really good and I've seen it run but I haven't driven it yet but I will this weekend. I just don't want any Transmission problems if I can help it!!!!Thanks for all help and emails!!!!;) SR65

That's the venerable TurboHydromatic 400, built by GM... who built about eleventy billion of 'em & put 'em in all SORTS of vehicles. In general, that's a very solid Transmission , very well-known, easy to rebuild come rebuild time, lots of parts availability.

That doesn't mean by any swoop of the pen that the THM400 in that particular Jeep is any good, though - it could be nearly thrashed, burned up clutches & bands, warped valve body, anything. Only a close inspection & test drive will tell for sure.

Pull the transmssion dipstick & look at it - is the fluid bright red? Is it dark brown? Does it smell funny-BURNED, or just like used ATF? Drive it. It should shift totally FLAWLESSLY. If it doesn't, regardless of any excuses you might hear, it's highly suspect.

If the fluid's bright red and the transmssion shifts flawlessly, don't worry about it much. They hold up for years & years & years before they need a rebuild, & then they hold up for years & years & years again.

Just to let you know the Transfer Case thats behind that is the full time 4wd unit known as the Quadra trac. Its a chain driven Transfer Case , not gears like the Dana 300 or Dana 20 that would be behind the manual in a 79. If your looking for an auto the later Cjs 80 and up I believe came with the TF999 and the Dana 300 Transfer Case . That set up is part time 4 wd , meaning you can switch out of 4wd unlike the one you described. The Dana 300 is also a better Transfer Case .

Pretty low mileage and you say “light use”?
The Quadrack was never my first choice but if you are just cruising the Golf courses and maybe a little sand or clay from time to time this could be a good rig.
I always thought of the QuadraTrac as the first sign of the arrival of the Yuppie jeep which, as we all know, lead to the Barbie jeep and the Mall crawler. Not that there is anything wrong with that!!:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom