1979 jeep cj7 gas gauge not working. got a question

yetiwarrior82

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Stock 1979 CJ7
258 4.2L Inline 6
Auto tranny with quadratrac
ok my gas gauge isn't working. is there anyway i could just run a straight wire from the gas tank to the gauge? if so how would i go about doing it.

the odds are very good that the gauge is good and the sending unit is bad. How have you tested the gauge?:D

the odds are very good that the gauge is good and the sending unit is bad. How have you tested the gauge?:D

well idk if it makes a difference but none of the gagues or lights on the dash work except the battery gauge and the speedo. the temp gauge, gas gauge, oil pressure gauge, and all the lights on the dash don't work.

You have to have 12v to the gages to work. The wire to the sender is sensor that is a variable resistance.

Check the fuses and get 12v to the gages first.

What's the story why you don't have power to the gages?

You have to have 12v to the gages to work. The wire to the sender is sensor that is a variable resistance.

Check the fuses and get 12v to the gages first.

What's the story why you don't have power to the gages?

ok i'm new to the electric field here and my fuses all look fine besides my turn signal fuse and idk why they don't work. i got this jeep for basicly free and i'm just kinda building it. the person i got it from said they just don't work. so idk.

Do you have a multi meter and a wire diagram??

Now is the time to learn that electrical stuff.

Most of the problems with a CJ will be electrical. Just no getting around it.

Do you have a multi meter and a wire diagram??

Now is the time to learn that electrical stuff.

Most of the problems with a CJ will be electrical. Just no getting around it.

haha i figured that lol but yes i do have a multi meter and i have a hynes manual

I would really like to be more help but it is really hard to diagnose electrical problems on line.

Have you had the dash off yet?

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

get one of these for your year, it will be the best $20 you spent on your Jeep sense you brought it home. A lot larger and color coded, in color and laminated.:D

If you have not had the dash off is it still held with torx screws and have they been stripped off yet?

haha i figured that lol but yes i do have a multi meter and i have a hynes manual

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom