Build Thread 1980 CJ5 Build

Build Thread 1980 CJ5 Build

busterswt

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5
Just picked up my first Jeep last night - a 1980 CJ5 . It's got a tired/dying AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6 and is on 35's with a 6" lift. Don't know much else about it really... Working on getting it started so I can get it in the driveway and into the garage.

I plan to bug the hell outta you guys for advice and tips on this thing. Spent the last 3 years on a 1967 Camari build and am looking forward to something new!

file-6.jpg
file-2.jpg
file-5.jpg
file-4.jpg
file-3.jpg
file-1.jpg
file.jpg

Looks like a good buy !!
Sounds like you're a seasoned veteran.
Welcome, I'll enjoy the updates.

:popcorn:

Got the same vehicle to work on now. Maybe we can share discussions together!

Good luck with it all.

Got the same vehicle to work on now. Maybe we can share discussions together!

Good luck with it all.

Hell yeah! More than happy to share tips and frustrations :)

I've made a little progress over the last 2-3 weeks that includes:

- Removing intake, carb, radiator, hoses, front belts, drive shafts, etc. Basically everything that needs to be removed in order to pull the motor.

- Removed all engine and under dash wiring.

- Replaced rear leaf spring and shackle bushings with new poly bushings.

- Removed rear brake hardware and rear wheel studs (including a few broken ones)

I'm waiting on some rear brake drums to be delivered before finishing up the brakes and mounting the wheels. Then I'll move it a little further back into the garage and get that motor/Transmission out of there before starting work on the front end. Lots of grease and oil to clean up there, and I need to replace all the suspension bushings, ball joints, etc.

I picked up a Vortec 350 a few weeks ago (with harness/computer) but have decided to carb it. Need to pick up a flywheel and clutch kit, along with a bellhousing and adapter to the T-176 . I am converting the mechanical clutch to a hydraulic clutch using a mid 80's Chevy truck bellhousing.

Plans also include all new wiring throughout and the fan motor upgrade while I have the interior out.

file-8.jpg
file-10.jpg
file-11.jpg
-95BC-4835-9150-8A443BF0D2C9-8966-000003765DCCCA15.jpg
-A01D-420D-BA63-B1E7FD710876-8966-000003766556E94F.jpg
-9C31-4C24-AE57-C7631FB19926-8966-0000037678E8829F.jpg

And the poor Camaro has been kicked out of the operating room for now...

file-9.jpg

Looks like you got a good one to build on with some mods already done. I just started getting my 82' back up with a Transmission - transfer rebuild. Good luck on your build :chug:

Boy if that 2nd pic doesn't look like every Jeep build a torch and a BFH.
I'd be happy to take that Camaro off your hands so it does't have to sit outside :D

Looks like you got a good one to build on with some mods already done. I just started getting my 82' back up with a Transmission - transfer rebuild. Good luck on your build :chug:
Having seen what the PO has done on some of the repairs and general care, I'm tempted to rebuild the Transmission when I get it out. $125 for a rebuild kit will offer some piece of mind. I'm cutting my teeth on a Muncie M21 rebuild right now so that ought to help build some confidence with the T-176

This link might help,There are others out there, good luck and when I do mine I'll try to post up pic's and progress.
Jeep Knowledge Base

yderatu3.jpg

a6ejabar.jpg

3eje3yny.jpg

In an attempt to save some money I ordered some brake drums online, and I've been stalled now for three weeks as they appear to have been backordered. My plan was to pull the engine over thanksgiving, but I have the rear end up in the air waiting for brakes. I also found that I've got Moser axles, which is great, but I've had to order those wheel studs as well.

Today I worked on pulling the front end off to make engine removal easier. All my parts should be in this week, so maybe over Christmas I can get it out of there.

Thanks! Exactly what I needed. Looks like mine is Alpaca Brown Metallic. Silicone has covered up the interior codes, but it had a Tan dash so I'm guessing it had the Levi (Edition) 's package. Not too sure what that means...

why don't you drop that offenhauser intake in a box and send it to me for safe keeping? My AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l would love it. :)

If I hadn't already sold it on eBay to offset my vortec intake, I might have taken you up on that ;)

Been working today to pull the motor and start work on the front suspension. PO appears to have been both lazy and creative when working on this thing... Brake lines just hanging around, driver engine mount not bolted in (one hole broken), and they used some compression nut or something on the spring perch bolt and drilled a hole through the nut and hardened bolt to put in not a cotter pin but a small bolt! Wtf...

egyby8uj.jpg

5ujuvy5a.jpg

buby3y5y.jpg

umuneda8.jpg

If I hadn't already sold it on eBay to offset my vortec intake, I might have taken you up on that ;)

Been working today to pull the motor and start work on the front suspension. PO appears to have been both lazy and creative when working on this thing... Brake lines just hanging around, driver engine mount not bolted in (one hole broken), and they used some compression nut or something on the spring perch bolt and drilled a hole through the nut and hardened bolt to put in not a cotter pin but a small bolt! Wtf...

egyby8uj.jpg

5ujuvy5a.jpg

buby3y5y.jpg

umuneda8.jpg

Save that pic for the "let's fun of our PO"

Im getting down to the frame on mine now, and it's gonna be an undertaking. Good job with yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been a while since I've updated, but I've been working on this off/on over the last few months. Finished rebuilding the suspension and the brakes a few months ago. I've got 50% of the wiring terminated so far. The engine dropped in perfectly using the Transmission -dapt bolt-in mounts, and the Transmission ended up about 1cm forward - pretty good as it wont require any driveshaft mods. Converted to a hydraulic clutch using a Chevy bell housing with external slave mount and original Jeep master and slave. I'll post all the details here in a bit.

huby9ure.jpg

9y6ejery.jpg

sypyjasy.jpg

sa3u3u7y.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom