1980 CJ7 - starting

1980 CJ7 - starting

frankandsteph

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7, 6 cyl, no top :-)
So my buddy just moved to Seattle and left me his Jeep for a while. It is a nice off-road beast that runs very well...when it starts!

When I turn the key it starts sometimes and it does nothing (lights up) the next time. No clicks, cranks or noises, just nothing. So I cleaned all the connections, replaced some old looking wires and still the same thing. So I spent $20 and replaced the starter relay...same thing, but now it won't shut off. So I have a jeep that starts if I pop-it, sometimes it starts with a key, but it won't shut off...on the bright side, it runs very well and has no rust!

Where do I start?

Thanks,
Frank

The "S" post on the relay gets the light blue wire from the ignition switch and the "I" post gets the red wire to the coil positive.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$110.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks