1984 cj7. What did I get?

1984 cj7. What did I get?

Receo

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj7.
Just recently got my first jeep (thanks awesome brother for the freebie!). I've been cruising the forums trying
To identify exactly what I've got on my hands. I blasted the crud off the cj and tried to get some photos of
The drivetrain in hopes that I could get some help identifying the jeep. It has 2 shifters for the Transfer Case , View attachment 10703

Vin indicates 4 speed but I'd swear there's a 5 gear there. To chicken to get it that fast due to spooky steering issues

And pretty sure it's the straight 6, AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l engine with some possible modifications.
View attachment 10705

Engine runs strong with a minor oil leak out of the pan. Wiring looks like a rats nest but I'm pretty sure I'll get it squared away. Thanks for any help. Hope these pictures work, if not I'll fix it tonight. View attachment 10706

The t/c should be a Dana 300 . If you look under the tag in the pic it should say 300. The twin sticks would be aftermarket.

Vin indicates 4 speed but I'd swear there's a 5 gear there. To chicken to get it that fast due to spooky steering issues

And pretty sure it's the straight 6, AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l engine with some possible modifications.
View attachment 10705

I've long heard the rumors that the green engines were screamers:poke:
If you can put it in gear straight up from reverse, it's a T-5 5spd. Try putting it in 5th at 30-40 mph just to see if your suspicions are correct.

Super noob here, what's the story with the green engine? I haven't got the cj past 35 mph because the steering feels like riding a skateboard while wearing roller skates. There is definitely a gear above R.

I've long heard the rumors that the green engines were screamers:poke:

Damn you! :4) I spent 45 minutes googling "AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l green engine" trying to figure out what engine I had.

The mods aren't pictured but it has an holly electrical fuel pump that is switched in the cab (scratch head) west side performance valve cover (researched it no big deal) and a yet to be determined ignition system. Man, for a while there I thought I had some back engineered alien technology super engine.

Thanks again for your help.

Sorry, just having a little fun :chug: It sure looks like you've got a good starting platform . Since she seems to run well, you should start with figuring out the front end first (as I'm sure you already know;) ) There's many things that might be giving you steering problems, and quite likely it will be a combination of a couple things or more.

Thanks for the link for the steering issue. I have a buddy who is pretty knowledgable with such thing coming out in a week or so to help out. For fun I thought I'd post the little wiring issue. Lol View attachment 10744

Thanks for the link for the steering issue. I have a buddy who is pretty knowledgable with such thing coming out in a week or so to help out. For fun I thought I'd post the little wiring issue. Lol View attachment 10744

:)Receo,

Boy that is mess..............Last time I seen one like that I never even tried to fix it.......... I just ordered another wire harness.
:D:D:D:D

:eek: where to begin? :eek:

Apparently the PO found a heck of a deal on red wire. Must be some of that fancy racing wire. ;4)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom