1986 Cj-7 throttle cable-258-2bbl

1986 Cj-7 throttle cable-258-2bbl

roofwarrior

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Cj-7 1986,K-3500 Chevy 2000,SS Impala 2007,Aveo 2007
My accelerator cable to the gas pedal just broke,would anybody have a link with pics that could step me through replacing this item.

Thanks,
Roofwarrior

Last edited:
I don't have any step by step pics for replacing the throttle cable, but it's pretty straight forward. There are four mounting points on the cable. The round end that attaches to the pedal, there is a open end that attaches to carb, and two sqaure mounting points on the hard plastic surrounding the cable that attach in the firewall and one in the throttle cable bracket.

The only pic I can find shows the square retainers to hold the cable in place, it's attached to the carb end, but the hole in the firewall is the same. You simply need to sqeeze the sides together to get it to come free, and install is simply just snapping them in place.

attachment.php

Elwood thanks for the quick response,but,I don't believe it's the same setup. I see that 40 people have stopped by and viewed my blurb,would anybody have a 1986 CJ7 (AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ) that can take a pic of where there Accelerator cable connects to the carb bracket.

Hoping to get a Jeep How to guide under the tree.

Merry Christmas All You Jeep Lovers,
Roofwarrior

All I can offer is pretty much the same thing Elwood posted. The throttle cable end has a cup on it that snaps over a post on the linkage. The picture he posted shows part of the cable-end on the far left. Does your throttle linkage have more then one post? Or is this what broke off...:confused:

Store Locator | NAPA Online

Application Information: 1986 Jeep CJ7
Engines : AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l L AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l CID L6
Comments: 21.875" Long
Price: $28.49
Per Car Qty: 1

accelerator cable
226404.jpg

accelerator pedal end
1124864.jpg

carburetor end
1124865.jpg

The picture I posted is the for carb connection for the accelerator cable, it's only been modified to work with a Motorcraft carburetor, not the stock Carter BBD.

Merry Christmas to you too xmas-smiley-022.png

I beleive I know what your looking for. I have a totally stock set up that I'll grab a pic of and explain for you in a few minutes..
Elwood thanks for the quick response,but,I don't believe it's the same setup. I see that 40 people have stopped by and viewed my blurb,would anybody have a 1986 CJ7 (AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ) that can take a pic of where there Accelerator cable connects to the carb bracket.

Hoping to get a Jeep How to guide under the tree.

Merry Christmas All You Jeep Lovers,
Roofwarrior

This pic is a top view of the accelerator cable. The square end that needes to be pressed through the square hole Elwood circled is directly below the bracket holding the cable in place.

cable1.png

Here you can see it better from the side. The cable end that is down farther just pops right off with a little pressure applied.

cable3.png

Heres a view of that end. Just give it a pull and it'll come right off. The opposite end of the cable just clips right in to the top of the gas pedal bracket.

cable2.png

Did this help?

Figured I might as well grab one more pic. Here is where the cable comes through the firewall and attaches to the pedal. It has another square connection that holds it in place at the firewall. The end simply goes through the larger hole then slides downward and clips in. I imagine this is the end that broke.

cable4.png

You guys are the best,I haven't looked yet house full of guests,I think the round post is what broke off. If it is the post that the end of the cable slips over that broke is that a part that can be purchased or will I need to buy the bracket that the post is connected to?If I remember correctly the post looked like it could be punched out,or screwed off.

I've owned this jeep since "95" and had it in storage,this past fall I decided to put some money in it to get back on the road.I use it as a back up for plowing.
It was my first plow vehicle,and I just love it.

Best Regards,
Roofwarrior

Once either end of that cable breaks Im 90% sure you have to get a whole new cable.

Thanks for the help men,had to wait until the weather got above 20 degrees to do the replacement.Repair work is done outside. Nutter bypass next on tap.
Once again thanks for the pics and advice.

Roofwarrior,

Almost a year to the day of this post I found myself with an 86 CJ with a busted throttle cable. Went to pump my gas twice before starting and something popped off and hit my leg, was the peddle end of the cable.

Glad you guys are here, just wanted to say thanks. Bought the part today and will install in the morning.

I was headed off the moutain one night with my 74 CJ5 and had the same thing happen to me. I was 35 miles from town and it was 11 at night. so out came the trusty leatherman set the idle to 2300 rpm and down the road i went. it was pretty scary at times but made if home.

Almost a year to the day of this post I found myself with an 86 CJ with a busted throttle cable. Went to pump my gas twice before starting and something popped off and hit my leg, was the peddle end of the cable.

Glad you guys are here, just wanted to say thanks. Bought the part today and will install in the morning.

:chug: Glad to here it helped you as well. :)

Happy New Year Guys,Jeep is working great,have some things to repair on it,I think that will always be the case.So here 's one for you guys,my main ride is a 2000 1 ton 4 wheel drive chevy pickup,last March after 255,000 miles the engine went,after some research I decided to replace motor versus dropping 37,000 for a new one. Everything went well,until a week ago,when the Dorman oil hose failed at the crimp and pumped out all the oil before I realized and fryed the engine.Installer stood by his work and installed a new engine for me,question is has anybody ever heard of these Dorman products failing like that before.My mechanic said he has never seen it before,I made him install a better hose with the new engine,AC Delco,with 3 crimps at the connection between hose and metal connector instead of two.Just curious.

Install couldn't have been easier and the CJ is ready to go. Thanks again.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom