2 or 3 core rad for 84 258 i6??

Austin

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 CJ7 - 258 i6 4.2
Trans - Borg-Warner T-5
Tansfer Case - Dana 300
Looking to purchase a new radiator for my 84 CJ7 and believe the stock was a 2 core with driver side off set cap. Still has the original AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l i6. Should I stick with 2 core or upgrade to a 3 core? What brand?

I'm going through this with my '81. Just ordered my second one today, and I hope it fits. From my research the last couple of days, using both NAPA and autozone (O'Reilly looks to be the same), the 2 core is the only one you can get with the offset cap. The 3 core I got today didn't fit, due to the brackets putting the core too close to the fan( the extra core didn't help either), and it was a center cap. I don't think the cap location matter's, although I haven't been able to prove that. Funny part is, the 3 core is quite a bit cheaper($50 to $100 cheaper). I'll find out Thursday for sure if the offset 2 core fits.

Don't know how the aluminum ones fit, I've been dealing with brass and copper.

I'm going through this with my '81. Just ordered my second one today, and I hope it fits. From my research the last couple of days, using both NAPA and autozone (O'Reilly looks to be the same), the 2 core is the only one you can get with the offset cap. The 3 core I got today didn't fit, due to the brackets putting the core too close to the fan( the extra core didn't help either), and it was a center cap. I don't think the cap location matter's, although I haven't been able to prove that. Funny part is, the 3 core is quite a bit cheaper($50 to $100 cheaper). I'll find out Thursday for sure if the offset 2 core fits.

Don't know how the aluminum ones fit, I've been dealing with brass and copper.

I wasn't sure if the offset cap really made a difference either. Let me know what comes of the new one Thursday. I'll probably go with brass or copper myself. I've seen a 2 core one on quadratec and jeep 4x4 center just haven't pulled the trigger on ordering yet. What prices have you found at NAPA and Autozone?

Autozone had the 2 core for $230, 3 core $180. Napa was $200 for the 3 core, and $290 for the 2 core. Can't remember the brands, but all had a warranty and can usually be had the next day for free(if the warehouse had them).

Autozone had the 2 core for $230, 3 core $180. Napa was $200 for the 3 core, and $290 for the 2 core. Can't remember the brands, but all had a warranty and can usually be had the next day for free(if the warehouse had them).

Thanks! I'll shop around this week. Do you happen to have a body lift on your Jeep where you have to lower the radiator?

I don't, but there should be enough room on the radiator to redrill the holes.

Re drill he body not the radiator:cool:

when you have to replace the radiator you drove the fan blade through in small town Oklahoma, it just bolts to the grill that was modified to fit it. This way you only do it once.

Why the grill vs the radiator?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess I should say re-drill the brackets on the radiator, there is plenty of space available. The only problem with re-drilling the grill, which can be done, is the current holes are recessed a bit.

As shown here-

when you have to replace the radiator you drove the fan blade through in small town Oklahoma, it just bolts to the grill that was modified to fit it. This way you only do it once.

Not a bad idea.

The 2 core standard(non-heavy duty) radiator fit perfect! Shouldn't have to worry about the body lift with this one either, as it has two sets of holes already.

The 2 core standard(non-heavy duty) radiator fit perfect! Shouldn't have to worry about the body lift with this one either, as it has two sets of holes already.

That's great to hear. Thanks for following back around and letting me know. I'll probably be doing the same. What more will/ would I really get out of a heavy duty rad over regular one?

Unless you live in the southwest, have A/C, and pull a trailer, I don't think having the extra core would change a whole lot. Maybe the guys that live down that way can chime in, but I don't have any problems up here with a 2 core.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom