Steering 22 Ball Bearing Power Steering Gear 83 CJ7

Steering 22 Ball Bearing Power Steering Gear 83 CJ7

abclay

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'83 CJ-7, 4.0L, AX15, Dana 300 w/ 3.73 diffs
'83 CJ-8 Laredo 4.2L, T5, 300
I just wanted to post this in case others might be going through what I went through.

I'm rebuilding my 83 CJ7. I bought the Edelmann 8522 rebuild kit and started disassembling. My shop manual told me that there would be 24 ball bearings, 12 larger one color, 12 smaller another color.

When I got all the bearings out I noticed that I only had 22 and they all were .283" and silver in color. If one was to find the same thing, they may search the internet and start believing that they lost two of the bearings or have some gear off a scout. NOT TRUE.

Jeep put some oddball steering gear boxes on some of the '83 CJs. Not sure if it's just the '83 but I know it was on mine. The input shaft is slightly larger than the 24 ball bearing unit and the steering ratio is different. The part number for the Edelmann rebuild kit is 7858.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Appreciate the information. But for the cost and time I just replace them with new when they leak or go bad.

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

I can certainly appreciate that and would recommend this approach if one doesn't feel comfortable rebuilding.

Some folks like to know the job was done right or maybe the cost of purchasing a new/reman might be prohibitive.

A quality rebuild job done by yourself for $55 plus a couple hours in the garage or $300+ for a new/reman one.

I guess the difference is I have to factor in my labor for rebuilding vs buying new for my customers. Same for me if I have to spend several hours rebuilding them I'm losing money that I could be making on someone else's vehicle

Yes, absolutely. I do the same thing with my service business. Especially with the dramatic rise in labor costs recently, you got to shave everwhere you can and the warranty work ain't on you if it happens to fail.

I assume you have a good bit of experience in rebuilding these boxes, have you ever seen one with 22 bearings?

Actually I don't. As I've stated I just replace them. I've even bought open box units off Amazon to save some money from time to time on a vehicle I'm trying to sell

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks