258 engine hose setup on valve cover

258 engine hose setup on valve cover

blkstx87

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7 Renegade 258 6cyl
I am looking for the correct setup on a 84 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l valve cover. The front hole is the oil fill hole the middle hole is the pcv valve that routes to the carb, then in the back hole I have a push in style breather that smokes enough that it comes in the cabin enough to smell and see when the sun hits it right. Just wondering if it should be routed to the air filter breather or what. The breather cap is wet and it looks like there is a leak but it is nothing but where the smoke is coming out of the valve train. Any pics or info would be great. I am posting pics of my engine.

4124d1291523307-258-engine-hose-setup-valve-cover-100_5579.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
75s had a hose going to the air cleaner from the rear hole in the valve cover.

Mine used to go to the side of the air cleaner.Inside the air cleaner was small filter insert that caught the oil mist.It was always screwing up air cleaners with oil mist.When i put on fuel injection i went to the breather cap.Works okay for me anyway.Your breather cap might need cleaning or replaced also.PVC is in the right place.Maybe the PVC valve is needing cleaned or replace also to get the pressure out of the valve cover
Mike

sounds like you need a new pcv valve and put a new breather on to. i have a after market breather on mine with a new pcv and i havent had any problems.

his motor probably has a little more blow by than others thats why he's getting the smoke. you can run a hose to the breather and send it back through the motor with no problems you just need to find a port on the breather to hook it up to. you might want to find a filter of some sorts to catch the oil if you have alot if not i wouldn't worry about it to much.

Thanks for the replies I am going to find new breather (any ideas where to buy) auto zone does not carry and new pcv. Also my dipstick tube has come off at the block ? Any ideas on repair, or do I have to replace with a new one, and if so how involved is it.

all you need to do is get a hose run it from where the little breather is to the engine air cleaner that is all you need to do to solve the smoke coming into the jeep. there should be a place you can connect it to. OR you can run a hose from that same hole down to the ground as a blow by tube like big trucks have. thats how mine was when i got it before the rebuild. NOW lets hear it from the green weenies about my last suggestion :laugh:

his motor probably has a little more blow by than others thats why he's getting the smoke. you can run a hose to the breather and send it back through the motor with no problems you just need to find a port on the breather to hook it up to. you might want to find a filter of some sorts to catch the oil if you have alot if not i wouldn't worry about it to much.

I'm having this same problem, but I'm confused about why it is??

I'm a newb....

the PCV is supposed to allow enough vacuum to the valve cover to cause a slight negative pressure in the crank case and suck out the blow by into the intake manifold to be burnt. the foam pad in the breather is to "filter " the air that is being drawn into the crank case by manifold vacuum. If the PCV is clogged it will not cause a negative pressure and if the blow by is too great it will cause a positive pressure at the filter which blows oil out into the world.:cool:

^^^^X2^^^^

Make sure the PCV is off a good vacumm source either from the intake manifold or a lower carb plate port.

Last edited:
this also indicates that running unfiltered air to your valve cover is more than likely worse than running unfiltered air to the carburetor.:cool:

I have the same problem sounds like you have a major blow-by problem. Which is caused by compression gasses leaking passed you piston rings. I don't know how many miles it has on it, but mine has 189000 and that was with a odtormere that was reading 20% less then what was being put on. I know my engine is probile shot but i Just don't have the cash to rebuilt right now. The blow-by was so bad that when I put the pcv valve system in correcty it would shot oil out of the dipstick. Maybe this caused your issues with the dipstick. Now this will problly cause a uproar but to get by till I can rebuild I put a straight elbow from the valve cover to the carb lower vacuum port. And put a hose to the air cleaner with the filter others were talking about to the back of the valve cover. Now my I don't have the oil mess in the air cleaner of smoke blowing out the vent. My 86 doesn't have a vent in back. Just my two cents, for what its worth.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom