258 Engine paint color

258 Engine paint color

pmurray

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7 w/ 258 6cyl. holly 4 bbl and tube headers.
Does anyone know the paint color and a manufacturer code for the original color on a 79 - AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l engine. I think it would be AMC blue if I remember right.

Probably was AMC Blue but some engines they painted black and I don't know what was the determining factor. True AMC Blue is only available as a powder coat from what I've been able to find. A lot of folks (including me) get the stuff Seymour offers Hi Tech Engine Enamel Spray Paint and claims it's AMC Blue Metallic but in reality it's more of a Teal Blue Metallic. I've seen Chrysler Blues that look closer to the original amc blue.
Let us know if you find something closer, there's a lot of folks looking.

Yes, I should have said powder coat "and spray gun applied paint". I was assuming he wanted rattle can paint.

Now see that looks Teal to me also CJ, but I think that the computer because I've seen ones that looked close to amc blue and I believe they used Eastwood's ceramic stuff. Here's a pic of mine but in the sun it's got more of the green tinge to it. It's not AMC blue as advertised but it still looks good, at least to me and that's who counts.
img2151bc.jpg

I see what your talking about but it does look good. I let you know if I come up with something. thanks.

I had a the same prob. with getting the original color for my 226 odd fire. Luckly there was a small splotch of original paint on the timing cover, so I took it to a auto paint dealer and looked at all of their samples to get one close enough to match. I used a good polymer primer and had the color made up in polyurethane base. I have some friends that rebuild vintage airplanes and they all use step and works for them. Good Luck Kadar

Yes, I should have said powder coat "and spray gun applied paint". I was assuming he wanted rattle can paint.

Now see that looks Teal to me also CJ, but I think that the computer because I've seen ones that looked close to amc blue and I believe they used Eastwood's ceramic stuff. Here's a pic of mine but in the sun it's got more of the green tinge to it. It's not AMC blue as advertised but it still looks good, at least to me and that's who counts.
img2151bc.jpg

That's a beautiful engine. I love the detailing. :chug: Did you paint yourself or engine shop? Does it need priming first? One more question. It looks like you used all new bolts/hardware and its something I want to do on my project. Is it possible to get a complete set, or DIY? Good source for quality bolts? Thanks for your post and great pictures. :notworthy:

Here is mine using the Seymour color. I read an article awhile back, when I was doing a search, that the color changed in '73 then they'd use whatever they could get from time to time so there were a lot of different colors. Check out the AMC forum at Blue poly and Caravelle blue - The AMC Forum - Page 1 There is a photo of a couple different paint colors. Also, search "AMC paint chart". I think I have the right color but I don't think metallic was original on mine.

That's a beautiful engine. I love the detailing. :chug: Did you paint yourself or engine shop? Does it need priming first? One more question. It looks like you used all new bolts/hardware and its something I want to do on my project. Is it possible to get a complete set, or DIY? Good source for quality bolts? Thanks for your post and great pictures. :notworthy:
Thanks. Yes I did it using the Seymour EN-66 rattle can. No primer first but I did sandblast most of the block, then wire wheeled the rest. Wipe it down good with lacquer thinner.
Most of the bolts were the originals just cleaned up on a bench grinder wire wheel. Any that had thread damage were replaced. Then I painted them. Put them back in their holes and spray with the block if that's the color you want them. The engine mount bolts were new grade 8 zinc plated but those are common at Lowe's, Tractor Supply, etc. A good source for hard to find bolts and such is
McMaster-Carr

When I went to install the flywheel I noticed some of the original paint on the backside. Here it is in comparison to the metallic version of AMC Blue.
nk6j.jpg

img2151bc.jpg
Looks real good.

Hey guy's Ive done some research on AMC engine colors hope this helps. Here in the everwet State we have Wesco Auto Body supply. According to their books the 74 and earlier AMC jeeps used the metalic blue that Eastwood makes. The 74-83 AMC blue is similar but no metalic. An old Ditzler laquer code is 14688. The 83-88 engines are black. I'm useing por 15 for the black. I am having the blue color matched from the dipstick. If you use an aresol can it won't have the hardener in it to resist the gas, brake fluid type spills that will ruin the paint. I brush the block,head,and any rough surface. I highly recomend having your local body shop supplier mix up the proper color so you can add the hardener to it. If you don't have access to a spray gun get a prevall unit. It has a glass container for the paint mix and a detatchable aresol unit. I restored a 68 ford 390 with one and it worked fine. (most factory engines had runs and poor paint jobs anyway.) Good Luck!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom