258 valve cover leak

258 valve cover leak

ftwflh

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ 5, 232 6cyl 3spd lots of rust,good frame,Dana 44s w/373 gears,ProComp 4in lift kit
My 76 CJ5 has a bad leak at the back of the valve cover and you can see where it has been changed before with gasket and sillicone.Will I be better off changing covers and a new gasket or will just a gasket fix it?Have had to change covers on old Chevys when the cover gets weak and pulled at the holes.

is it plastic or metal? if its the plastic one i'd look for a new one aluminum or otherwise. if its the stamped steel one you can take a couple of hammers and straighten out the bolt holes which will help it seal. if you reuse the old valve cover be sure to use some silicone gasket maker with the new gasket, and don't over tighten it, its the only way i have found to stop it from leaking

i have a cork felpro gasket with black rtv and no leaks.

I actually took my stamped steel valve cover to a machine shop and had them acid dip it. It didn't cost much and it got all of the previous clobs of gasket material and silicone off. I used a good Fel-Pro gasket from NAPA and some Permetex "the right stuff" gasket maker, I haven't had a leak yet. Knock on wood.

Permatex-99070-rw-53230-63619.jpg

I tightened up the bolts today(they were real loose)If that doesnt work I will go with a GOOD gasket.It is a steel cover

It is AMAZING what tightening the cover bolts will do:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom