304 Dipstick tube ?

304 Dipstick tube ?

Bunky67

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ5 304 V8 3 speed Trans Fiberglass front end,
I know this topic has been discussed before and I'm sorry to bring it up again, But I need to replace the one on my 77 CJ5

Has anyone found another source for the Dipstick tube at a more reasonable price ?? $37.00 seems like a lot too me,

Also Has anyone had any luck in pulling the old one out from the top without removing the oil pan ???

I would say ebay but you would end up getting a "good used" that would more then likely brake. Where did you find the $37 tube at. That really doesnt sound bad to me. Try finding one for a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . you can try using a self tapping screw to grab the inside of the tube and pull it out that way but more then likely you will have to drop the pan.

On my 74, if i remove the bolt holding it with a bracet to the valve cover, i can finess the tube out without removing anything. Easier to do with actual dip stick out of tube.

Not sure if mine is the norm or if thats bad, :confused:

:chug:

Jr

I think the AMC 304 dipstick tube is pressed in somehow. The ones I have changed had always broke inside the block and had to drive it through, then drill out the hole a little and don't laugh but jb welded it back it. I know that is not the right way but I broke 2 of them trying to put them in. Maybe there is a special tool for that

Thanks for the Replies from the reading I have done is that there's 2 different tubes ones just a little bigger then the other so people brake them trying to install them

On my 74, if i remove the bolt holding it with a bracet to the valve cover, i can finess the tube out without removing anything. Easier to do with actual dip stick out of tube.

Not sure if mine is the norm or if thats bad, :confused:

:chug:

Jr
If it doesn't leak I would say there isn't anything wrong with it

I got mine from Bulltear and it fit without any problems. They also have the support that uses one of the valve cover bolts. They make it in stainless

I got mine from Bulltear and it fit without any problems. They also have the support that uses one of the valve cover bolts. They make it in stainless
I have a Bulltear tube also, they fit very well.

I got two from morris because I screwed up the first one.
with the second one, I took some advice from a member here and sanded down the area where it presses into the block and it fit much better.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom