304 heads

304 heads

cjnewbie

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj7 360 3 speed
my 79 cj has the AMC 304 i bought header gaskets from summit and they came but the ports on the gasket are rectangle but the ports on my heads and headers are rectangle with a notch at the bottum corner of all the ports it appers to be stock i am just wondering what these heads are ? thanks

my 79 cj has the AMC 304 i bought header gaskets from summit and they came but the ports on the gasket are rectangle but the ports on my heads and headers are rectangle with a notch at the bottum corner of all the ports it appers to be stock i am just wondering what these heads are ? thanks

You have the wrong gaskets.:(
You need gaskets for dogleg ports.;)
The AMC 304 never had rectangular ports, only the 290, 343, 390.;)

ya i acctualy just went over to autozone and they had them in stock so the dogleg port is just a AMC 304 head port? i was just wondering if these were some odd head but it sounds like that is not the case and thank you again sir

ya i acctualy just went over to autozone and they had them in stock so the dogleg port is just a AMC 304 head port? i was just wondering if these were some odd head but it sounds like that is not the case and thank you again sir

No not AMC 304 only, the 360,70' 390 & the 401 all had "Dogleg Ports".
The AMC 304 also has smaller valves than the 360,390 & 401.
The "Dogleg Heads" are the best flowing AMC heads.;)

sorry to keep bugging you but does this mean these heads would not have been stock on my jeep?

I sure those are exactly the heads that came on your Jeep, if it came with a V8. Sorry if I am hard to follow. I have a bad habit of giving TMI.;)

ok thank you sir my little AMC 304 seams to be plenty strong it has an edelbrock intake with a holley 425 long tube headers and an electronic ignition not sure about the cam and im sure it is only around 200 horse or so but seams to be plenty for the jeep LOL

ok thank you sir my little AMC 304 seams to be plenty strong it has an edelbrock intake with a holley 425 long tube headers and an electronic ignition not sure about the cam and im sure it is only around 200 horse or so but seams to be plenty for the jeep LOL

Sounds like a good combo, probably gets good mpg's.
What else are you running, a T-150 three speed Transmission & a Dana 20 ?
Do you know your differential ratio?

no i realy have not gotten that far to pull diff covers i am going to though so i can inspect things and change the oil in them but what little i have driven it i am sure it has lockers of some sort but thats about all i know at this point and yes it has the three speed with 33's and the fuel guage doesnt work so im not sure of mpgs yet i have only put about 50 miles on it so far

thanks for all the info from everyone i cant wait to get my jeep ironed out and start enjoying it

your not enjoying it now?:cool:

not yet there are still several things to work out but i have a few miles on now but still working on some details before i take it out to play but i cant wait

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom