304 Rebuild

304 Rebuild

project74

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5, 304v8... purchased 8/8/11
Hi all, we will be dismanteling the drivetrain, exhaust and axels this weekend. I'm gonna need to completely rebuild this AMC 304 . There are two pushrods missing and a knock when it was running momentarily. I will not know if this engine was ever bored over stock until I tear it down, I am looking for a good source for a COMPLETE rebuild kit and possibly looking into a mild cam upgrade with a kit that would include the other parts that would be needed for that type of build.
Any insight on "Do It", "Dont Do It" is appreciated as well as a good source for the rebuild kits.
Thanks, Ed

Hi all, we will be dismanteling the drivetrain, exhaust and axels this weekend. I'm gonna need to completely rebuild this AMC 304 . There are two pushrods missing and a knock when it was running momentarily. I will not know if this engine was ever bored over stock until I tear it down, I am looking for a good source for a COMPLETE rebuild kit and possibly looking into a mild cam upgrade with a kit that would include the other parts that would be needed for that type of build.
Any insight on "Do It", "Dont Do It" is appreciated as well as a good source for the rebuild kits.
Thanks, Ed
I would bet, that Summit will have everything you need to build a fine motor. I haven't built a AMC 304 since 1985 and it was for my 74 AMX, but man did it run!! Good luck!!

You can also go with Morris (on sponsors tab above) and get 10% off, but again, it looks as if you may have to piece together what you want from them...

Jeep Engine Parts AMC V-8 5.0L 304 and 5.9L 360 Page 1 at Morris 4x4 Center

I'd try getting everything you can from them at 10% off, and order the remaining from Summit etc.

But I haven't researched it much either, so thats actually what I would do first... More research.

When looking around I see a lot of forum threads where someone has asked this question and everyone's reply is:

Swap a 360 / 401 in or swap a 350 in etc.

I assume you've thought of that, and wish to remain with the AMC 304 . :chug:

Thanks for the ideas...Yep, I want to stay with the AMC 304 ...dont want to mess with the motor mounts and Transmission \driveshaft etc...that comes with a different motor swap. I'll know which way to go with parts when I tear it down and see if it has been bored previously. It didnt sound altered when I got it running but I didnt run it long due to the noise (knocking).l I'm hopeing someone removed those 2 pushrod from the valve cover side and not that they are wedged in the bottom end or valley...? But I guess that's the fun of it...discovery.
And yes I will be taking pictures and keeping a parts log to the best of my abilities and posting more pics in my member's area as I go...gotta love pics of teardowns!
There is a real good Transmission shop in town that I have used for the past 28 years, so if I do not attemp rebuilding my Transmission \transfer cases then he will get the job. (Quality Transmission -Greenville SC)

:popcorn:

:chug:

You may want to check out www.bulltear.com They specialize in AMC motors and have some interesting parts avail. You can gain alot of info on the forums section. Good luck.

Any update on the motor? I am getting ready to tear into my AMC 304 tomorrow and I am trying to read anything I can on it. I also read that you are in the upstate. I am too, in Spartanburg SC.

No, I have the Transmission \transfer separated but will be working with putting the engine on stand and starting teardown this weekend...looking forward to what I find, hope I don't find a unuseable block...?!
p.s. I am in the Greer area. You going to the Simpsonville or other car show(s) on Monday?

Im waiting to see why there's 2 pushrods missing... :popcorn:

Hey...me too! by the way... in your signature it mentions "propain"? How's the "Kick" on that? I have seen where it adds apx. 100 hp to diesels...?

Well, I was planning on pulling the motor out this weekend and getting it on a stand. Now I am toying with the idea of a 360 so who knows. Either way I will probably be working on a jeep monday.

Hey...me too! by the way... in your signature it mentions "propain"? How's the "Kick" on that? I have seen where it adds apx. 100 hp to diesels...?
Propane injection on diesels is the shiz...
However, Im running straight up propane as the only fuel this motor sees. I get the entire 430hp and torque is scary big :cool:

UPDATE. I have the frame on jackstands, springs and tires off, engine is at machine shop....here's what I found when I tore it down...
2 broken pushrods in valley...all others bent in some degree
broken piston rings
crack piston body
contact mark between top of one piston and bottom of head...
one-half of a connecting rod bearing was worn thin and shreaded
....this caused piston contact.
worn out cam
worn out crank (thrust wear)
block cylinders looked amazingly good and appeared to have not be en over-bored yet.:)
Believe it or not...this motor actually ran!
Having all hot-tanked, bored 0-030, checked for line-bore if needed, decked, angled..
will be installing master kit with new EVERYTHING.

Who did you get your master kit from, by the way??

On the AMC 304 , 360, 401 debate... I have owned all 3. I currently have a AMC 304 with hedman headers, Howell f.i. and a 3 speed. It is too quick to let my teenage daughter even test drive it. Does a 401 make GOBS more torque, ohhhh my yes...how do you hook it up in a CJ ? In a Cherokee Chief it still had enough with a camper and boat behind that. Will a 30 year old frame handle that much power without totally re-engineering it? Not on my nickle.:eek:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom