304 to 360 swap in California, has anyone done this?

304 to 360 swap in California, has anyone done this?

rumblephish

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 Jeep CJ-5 "Levi's" edition, original AMC 304 V8, T-150 transmission, Dana 20 transfer case, AMC 20 rear end. All stock except for a hotter ignition.
I'm looking at having to rebuild the AMC 304 in my '78 CJ5 . After considering various option and running across a 360 short block for a good price I've decided I would be better off swaping a 360 in place of the ole'AMC 304 . BUt here is my dilema.... I live in California.

I'm pretty familiar with the AMC platform and I'm aware of most issues that will come up in this swap, mechanically speaking. Flywheel, oil mod, ect... But since the CJ5 was never offered with the 360 in 1978 will I have an issue getting it to pass the emission requirments of California? I'll be using all of the smog equipment off of my AMC 304 (air pump, egr, ect.) and I plan on running the Edelbrock RPM Gap intake, Edelbrock shorty headers w/airtubes, Edelbrock or Summit (RV) cam, roller rockers, Jacobs "Mileage master" ignition (from my AMC 304 ) and some head work (3 angle valve job, port/polish, ect..). I fully expect this motor to pass the tail pipe emissions test but it's the visual test I'm concerned about. I realize that it looks almost identical to a AMC 304 but I dont want to chance a picky smog tech looking for numbers on the block.

So has anyone done this swap in California recently (last 5 years or so)? If so what issues did you run into? Is as straight forward as it seems?

Thanks,

RP

I'm looking at having to rebuild the AMC 304 in my '78 CJ5 . After considering various option and running across a 360 short block for a good price I've decided I would be better off swaping a 360 in place of the ole'AMC 304 . BUt here is my dilema.... I live in California.

I'm pretty familiar with the AMC platform and I'm aware of most issues that will come up in this swap, mechanically speaking. Flywheel, oil mod, ect... But since the CJ5 was never offered with the 360 in 1978 will I have an issue getting it to pass the emission requirments of California? I'll be using all of the smog equipment off of my AMC 304 (air pump, egr, ect.) and I plan on running the Edelbrock RPM Gap intake, Edelbrock shorty headers w/airtubes, Edelbrock or Summit (RV) cam, roller rockers, Jacobs "Mileage master" ignition (from my AMC 304 ) and some head work (3 angle valve job, port/polish, ect..). I fully expect this motor to pass the tail pipe emissions test but it's the visual test I'm concerned about. I realize that it looks almost identical to a AMC 304 but I dont want to chance a picky smog tech looking for numbers on the block.

So has anyone done this swap in California recently (last 5 years or so)? If so what issues did you run into? Is as straight forward as it seems?

Thanks,

RP

Hey Rp,

I helped my dad do a 360 swap in his CJ5 but we are from tn. It was a really easy swap essentially sounds like you have all the bases covered. If the 360 passed before the swap it should pass after the swap. just my thoughts... best advice i can give you is get it registered in a state with no emissions!!! thats what i did no smog required now on any of my vehicles.:cool:

Good luck and let me now how your swap goes im going to rebuild my AMC 304 to save some money plus id like to keep it mostly factory.

Hey Rp,

I helped my dad do a 360 swap in his CJ5 but we are from tn. It was a really easy swap essentially sounds like you have all the bases covered. If the 360 passed before the swap it should pass after the swap. just my thoughts... best advice i can give you is get it registered in a state with no emissions!!! thats what i did no smog required now on any of my vehicles.:cool:

Good luck and let me now how your swap goes im going to rebuild my AMC 304 to save some money plus id like to keep it mostly factory.

If you use the M.O.R.E. motor mounts they completely cover the block numbers on the side of the block. Hopefully even the "Smog Nazis" in Cali won't make you take it off the mounts. :laugh:

Now that sounds like the best idea I've heard yet!

back on thread here.:D

I would say that chances or any state employee holding an inspection mirror to see the block size on an AMC V8 or even knowing that the numbers were there are so remote it is not worth considdering.

Well, I may look into those mounts. That motor is very nice :drool:

I know that if the motor is of the same year or newer than the vehicle and has all the O.E. smog equipment that came on it for that year it should be good to go. But this part threw me a curve.. apparently you cant put a truck motor in a car or vice versa. You can't put a "heavy duty" truck motor in a "light duty" truck and vice versa. Heavy duty is defined as 1 ton or greater. Is a Wagoner considered an "HD" truck? Is a CJ considered a LD" truck?

Anyone have any real world experience in doing a AMC 304 -360 CJ swap in California? Anyone?

Bueller?

just a small hyjack here.+:D
Horn, how you like the mounts? is it easier to pull the horizontal bolt when you pull and drop the motor or easier to unbolt from the frame?:cool:

First V8 Jeep I've not had to run a chain from a head to the frame.
They're pricey, but really well made product.
So much better than factory.:D
I pull the center bolt.

Last edited:
Well, I may look into those mounts. That motor is very nice :drool:

I know that if the motor is of the same year or newer than the vehicle and has all the O.E. smog equipment that came on it for that year it should be good to go. But this part threw me a curve.. apparently you cant put a truck motor in a car or vice versa. You can't put a "heavy duty" truck motor in a "light duty" truck and vice versa. Heavy duty is defined as 1 ton or greater. Is a Wagoner considered an "HD" truck? Is a CJ considered a LD" truck?

Anyone have any real world experience in doing a AMC 304 -360 CJ swap in California? Anyone?

Bueller?

Light Duty.
Definitely not a 1ton.

Oh, thanks for the kind words on the motor.
That's my hot rod 401.

Light Duty.
Definitely not a 1ton.

Oh, thanks for the kind words on the motor.
That's my hot rod 401.

So tell me about the 401? What did yo out in it and what kind of power does it make? Crate motor or did you build it yourself? What's it like having that much power in such a short wheelbase? Anymore pic's of it?

If your worried, grind the numbers off the side of the block, once you paint it no one will be able to tell.

That makes it a dealer replacement block, one they kept in stock and bored
to what ever size was needed. Had no number on the side of the block.:cool:
If your worried, grind the numbers off the side of the block, once you paint it no one will be able to tell.

So tell me about the 401? What did yo out in it and what kind of power does it make? Crate motor or did you build it yourself? What's it like having that much power in such a short wheelbase? Anymore pic's of it?

Mine is a CJ8 so it's wheelbase isn't that short, but if you don't know what your doing on wet asphalt with a Detroit locker you could be in trouble. Of coarse it doesn't really matter what your Horsepower is on that one.;)

View attachment 2761

View attachment 2762

View attachment 2763

View attachment 2764

View attachment 2765

The sweet tune of a V8 played through stereo Super 44's is nice too.:cool:

i know imma start lookin for a 360 short block to rebuild, not in a hurry just kinda build it little by little and get some use outta the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l then one day, bam! drop it in. at least i'll keep myself pacified for a while

Yes Luke, feel the power of the darkside!
Darth Jeeper
:laugh:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom