351 for 304 swap.

351 for 304 swap.

SSG REB

Jeeper
Thanks
I have a 1974 Jeep CJ6 (not 5 or 7 folks, CJ6 ) with a AMC 304 and three speed. I don't have the money to rebuild the AMC 304 and it needs it, badly......I do have a freshly rebuilt 351 windsor out of a trashed bronco.

My questions are:

1. Is this particular swap common enough for their to be parts such as engine mounts, wiring conversions (although I've seen tractors with more complicated wiring, so that parts not really a big deal), etc. out there.

2. It has a T-15 in it now, how incompatable is this going to be untill I get a 4-speed for it? Advice on adaptor?
3. For a 1983 351 Windsor, what options am I looking at for swapping in a good 4-speed, preferably a T-18 ? Am I gonna have to get an adaptor or is their a year range that will match it thats worth a :dung: for offroading?

Thanks for any help.

It is my humble opinion the swap you have in mind will cost a lot more than rebuilding the AMC 304 . I won't even get into how hard it is to find a CJ6 especially one that has not been butchered. I would be looking for some one to take the 351 off my hands to put a dent in the machine shop bill. A CJ6 with a AMC 304 would be a very cool thing.:cool:

I have a 1974 Jeep CJ6 (not 5 or 7 folks, CJ6 ) with a AMC 304 and three speed. I don't have the money to rebuild the AMC 304 and it needs it, badly......I do have a freshly rebuilt 351 windsor out of a trashed bronco.

My questions are:

1. Is this particular swap common enough for their to be parts such as engine mounts, wiring conversions (although I've seen tractors with more complicated wiring, so that parts not really a big deal), etc. out there.

2. It has a T-15 in it now, how incompatable is this going to be untill I get a 4-speed for it? Advice on adaptor?
3. For a 1983 351 Windsor, what options am I looking at for swapping in a good 4-speed, preferably a T-18 ? Am I gonna have to get an adaptor or is their a year range that will match it thats worth a :dung: for offroading?

Thanks for any help.

I've got a AMC 360 here I'll trade for the 351W :)
you get the power of a bigger engine and I'd get what I want for my Ranger project.
Pm me for details if your interested.

(BTW if you don't know, a 360 is a drop-in for the AMC 304 )

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom