351 windsor swap

351 windsor swap

zig

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 cj-7, 304, 400 trans with quadra-trac 4x4, Full fiberglass body
Anybody have any info on a Ford 351 windsor swap into a CJ7 frame. I've seen a few conversions from Novak adapters, but none of them have anything for an automatic with the quadra trac. I've also checked a few other sites and have found nothing. I thought i would check on here and see if anybody has done a small block ford swap like this.

The QuadraTrac has very Limited options. Unless you custom machine your own tail shaft and adapter, you can only use the GM Turbo 400 or 700R4. I don't know if you can adapt the AMC bellhousing GM Turbo 400 to the Ford or not. If you can, you only have to worry about the front end of the Transmission . If not, the tail shaft in the Jeep equipped GM Turbo 400 can be swapped into any GM Turbo 400 . So you could get a Chevy bellhousing case and swap in the tail shaft. You'd have to adapt the Chevy Transmission to the Ford engine. With the 700R4 you'd still have to adapt the Chevy Transmission to the Ford engine but Advance Adapters makes a spud shaft and adapter that attaches to a stock 700R4 to run the QuadraTrac . So you could do that with any 4x4 700R4 without having to tear it down and rebuild it.

Other than that, it's a simple matter of getting or fabricating some motor mounts and running the various hoses for coolant, fuel and vacuum. You'd have to make sure your radiator inlet/outlet was set up right. Depending on what kind of fuel delivery you use, the most challenging thing would be wiring. Since AMC used Ford ignition, you may not even need to rewire that part. All of this is not terrible as far as engine swaps go.

Last edited:
What brought about the decision to use the ford small block?? I have no objection to it , just not the easiest or most popular swap. just curious.:cool:

I seem to recall the 351w was a bit wider than a chevy or AMC V8. :)

Anybody have any info on a Ford 351 windsor swap into a CJ7 frame. I've seen a few conversions from Novak adapters, but none of them have anything for an automatic with the quadra trac. I've also checked a few other sites and have found nothing. I thought i would check on here and see if anybody has done a small block ford swap like this.

Its also wider at the valve covers than a SB Ford.

But even so, That is my favorite engine. If I ever get to the point of swapping out from an AMC, that is where I will go.

To the OP. If I were you, I'd find a complete drivetrain in a Bronco or F-series truck and swap it all in. That seems to be the cheapest and easiest way to go in my book.
Of course I'd find a T-18 or NP435 to go in place of your auto, but thats just a minor point.
Look for a 80's Ford van to get the power steering/ AC system/pulleys off. I have heard that they are a more compact setup, giving a nicer package in your tight engine compartment. You will probably need a dual sump oil pan and pickup to clear the front differential also.

Good luck and keep us posted on your findings!

Its also wider at the valve covers than a SB Ford.

But even so, That is my favorite engine. If I ever get to the point of swapping out from an AMC, that is where I will go.

To the OP. If I were you, I'd find a complete drivetrain in a Bronco or F-series truck and swap it all in. That seems to be the cheapest and easiest way to go in my book.
Of course I'd find a T-18 or NP435 to go in place of your auto, but thats just a minor point.
Look for a 80's Ford van to get the power steering/ AC system/pulleys off. I have heard that they are a more compact setup, giving a nicer package in your tight engine compartment. You will probably need a dual sump oil pan and pickup to clear the front differential also.

Good luck and keep us posted on your findings!

Keep in mind that if you go this route, you'll have to swap out the axle since the Ford drivetrains all have centered rear outputs that won't match up with your QuadraTrac axle. The compound angle on the short CJ driveshaft will bind like a mother if you don't find an axle with a centered differential.

Good point, buddy! I didn't even think about that since I've never owned a Q-Trak Jeep!

Good ideas
I was going to agree with MyLittleCJ5 until Derf threw a monkey wrench into those plans. That off-center rear diff will be very hard to work with.

So then I looked over your profile: "1976 CJ7 , AMC 304 , 400 Transmission "
That sounds like a very nice setup. I would seriously reconsider getting rid of that AMC 304 .
Are you having trouble with it?

IOPORT51- I have the 351 sitting in the garage waiting for a home. It was suppose to go in my Ranger but that has a ways to go and i'm just exited to here it run because it is built pretty good.
MYlittlecj5- Thanks for the info. Buying a bronco sounds like an easier thing to do than to haggle something else up. I just don't know alot about transfer cases and setting that stuff up. I've only done stuff with muscle cars and my 2wd ranger.

Swapping out the rear axle is not all that hard. If you can't find one from a CJ, it's easy to find one that can be swapped in with only some new spring pads and shock mounts. An afternoon with a grinder and a welder and you have a new axle. Not much if you're already considering doing a full engine swap.

Besides, it's an opportunity for an upgrade. You know you want to put in a Ford 9". All the cool kids are doing it. :D

Swapping out the rear axle is not all that hard. If you can't find one from a CJ,
Besides, it's an opportunity for an upgrade. :D
True, but now he has swapped out all drive train components except the front axle so he can put in a Windsor.

True, but now he has swapped out all drive train components except the front axle so he can put in a Windsor.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Windsor. And a Bronco drivetrain is plenty strong.

Besides, I know a couple of people who have swapped out their entire drivetrain because they happen to have the engine in the garage when they got their CJ.

BusaDave9-I'm pretty sure the AMC 304 needs to be rebuilt, to what extent im not for sure. I bought the jeep 2 weeks ago and it was in a few pieces. I had a 79 CJ7 this summer that had the quadra trac in it and had all sorts of problems with it. So i would kind of like to steer away from it. My first thought was that it would be cheaper to go the 351 and c4 Transmission route since i have them already. I do also have a 350 chevy that is a possibility also. Wanted to get some info before any of these swaps became a headache.

this is a good start to the Maxim...
JEEP = Just Exchange Every Part!

And if he can find a straight axle Bronco, He can replace/upgrade the Front axle also! :)

Here's my $.02. If are changing the engine, you will want to get rid if the quadratec, and swap out the rear axle for a stronger, centered one. Stronger because it won't take to much to break a stock axle with e mildly built 350 or 351. Finding the AMC20 would be the easiest, with 1 piece axles, and welded tubes, iw would proabaly handle the stress of moderate off road with the power you would be giving it. The 351 to a C4 would be ok, though IMO a C6 would be better. I don't know the lengths of the ford setups, but be careful of the overall length. Even in a 7, you can quickly run out of room once you start adding adapters. There is plenty of info on the net about the Chevy swap, that is the most common. I am certain that someone has swapped in a 351 somewhere out there, and with a little time it can be done. Hope that helps.

Sell the AMC 304 and q-trak and 350, pick up a Dana 18 and a 390 or 401.
It's all good from there. The D18 t-case has the same offset, drop and yoke size,
so no axle changes needed.
Also a good 360 is also an option.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom