360 not in all the way

360 not in all the way

Germy

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 jeep cj7 360 20 rear and 30 front w/warn lockers 5 speed tranny,

1971 dodge dart built 318
I have about a 1/2 inch gap that I cannot fill. Should I use bell housing bolts to pull it together. I'm thinking its the pilot bearing being tight

They should fit together easily.

Did you use the alignment tool for the clutch?
Are the splines on the input shaft engaging the clutch disk splines?

IMHO forcing things is not the answer.
I might put the bolts in finger tight and try wiggling things in hopes that it falls into place. Be really sure everything is right and nothing is in the way frist though. Could be that the angle of the motor and Transmission is just not lined up quite right.
I have used the bolts to pull things together in the past but go easy don't force things.

Spline is engaged, the clutch is aligned. I'm worried that the machinist put the wrong pilot bushing in. Walking away for the night. Gonna break stuff. Btw I'm installing motor on an installed transfer and Transmission . Pilot bushing or slightly wrong angle

I'm thinking I just have to find the right angle for tranny and motor

Gerrmy do you have one of the engine levelers so you can adjust the angle of the engine?

Yes, but with it installed, my reach isn't long enough with the crane at 1/4 ton. I had to go to chains. 6 inches short while using intake bolts

Jeremy, I had the same problem. Sometimes you can put tranny in gear and move driveshaft slightly. Two large bolts on bell will align thing up but don't force it. Angle is probably off a hair.

Ive made a few "pilot" studs for installing transmissions.. got to a fastened and buy the longest bolts you can find for your block. Cut the heads and then slot em for a screw driver head. Install them in the block finger tight and then slide the Transmission onto them they will keep the Transmission and motor surprisingly level or close to it.. while sliding it on of the Transmission starts to bind you know you need to adjust the angles..

The other option is to pull the Transmission and Transfer Case . bolt the Transmission to the motor and install it as a unit.. alot more work but easier to fine tune

Cool thanks guys. I'm re attaching leveler to get more reach, my angle of dangle is off

Would dropping driveshaft give me more play in the angle of tranny? Not sure how tranny and transfer are mounted

Might be just as easy to place a jack under the Transfer Case to make the bellhousing more perpendicular to the ground. When mine is mounted and the engine is off, the tranny leans WAY back due to the weight of the Transfer Case . My thoughts on it. Good luck!

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

It's in, headers were a nightmare. Will go a diff route next time. It was all angle, just off a hair. Thanks everyone for the help

It's in, headers were a nightmare. Will go a diff route next time. It was all angle, just off a hair. Thanks everyone for the help
:banana: Germy doing the happy dance. Congrats :chug:

Thank god I ran the wiring before I pulled it, just plug it in. Well, I'm sure there will be a problem

Clutch issue . The fork has no spring or resistance. When linkage is installed the pedal is mush, very little if none spring back in pedal. Do I pull the motor or drop tranny

When I attached clutch to flywheel I bolted the cover all the way down, cover to flywheel. Was there to be a torque? The throw out just had two clips on it. Could it just be the fork not engaged on the throw out?

Last edited:
Either the plate is backwards or something got disconnected with the throwout. Does this sound right? I'm going to pull it tomorrow and see I guess.

Found problem. I guess due to the awful condition of the clutch the po had to shorten the linkage rod a lot. I screwed it back out till it had no play and it works like a charm

Found problem. I guess due to the awful condition of the clutch the po had to shorten the linkage rod a lot. I screwed it back out till it had no play and it works like a charm

Make sure you keep 1" of freeplay in the pedal... :cool:

Glad you didn't need to pull that tranny / engine again :D:D

:chug:
~ Jr

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom