jeepweasel

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ-5 w/ 304 and T-150.
Newbie here. I have a 1976 CJ5 with a bad 304. I want to drop in a 360. o I need to look for a particualr black or will any 1971-1977 block work?

Any amc/Jeep 360 will work, even thru the later 80's Grand Wagoneers which should be fairly easy to find. You will need a Flywheel (or flexplate if your running an auto) from a 360 for proper balance, do not reuse the one from the 304.

Try to find one with the 4 bolt harmonic balancer pulley. Its the later years, but I don't know what the range is. I have an early 3 bolt version, and its a pain trying to find some misc parts for it. I had a nice complete NOS A/C conversion kit that I had to sell because it wouldn't fit my engine :(

My '77 401 has a 4 bolt balancer pulley...so you can go back pretty far.
Try to get something past 78 though....anything before that has the prestolight ignition....you will have to change out the dizzy and the control module to Duraspark, to get it into the 20th century :D

Will a 1990 360 out of a Wagoneer work?
Jeepweasel, you need to fill out your profile as requested in this thread http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f15/your-profile-3975/ that your were directed to and read when you signed up with this forum. Without this information we cannot / do not know information that is required to help you.

Do you mean a Grand Wagoneer? Jeep stopped making the standard Wagoneer in 1984.

If it is a Grand Wagoneer the 360 will work providing that your transmission is the same type. If the GW has and auto and your CJ has a stick, you will need the correct fly wheel (see why have to fill out your profile?).

Sorry, I have filled out my profile.

Quick recap. This is my 3rd CJ. The other 2 were 258's. I wanted a 304. Anyway, I purchased this one with "supposedly" a rebuilt 304. I got it and when I start it, it has 40 psi oil pressure. Once it warms up, it is 0 at idle. I replaced the oil pump and even used a .070 gasket. No better. I took off the valve covers and found a rod was not seated in a lifter. I replaced it, but it did not help. I pulled the engine and have it about half stripped down. I found this is the crappiest rebuild I have ever seen. Oil Pressure is probably due to cam bearings, but I haven't gotten that far as I broke a puler on my harmonic balancer and have to get a new one.

Anyway. I was planning on a 360 swap anyways. I found one from a buddy. It is a 1990 360 out of a Grand Wagoneer. I know I will have to put on a fly wheel. As far as I can tell, the 360 block was not changed through all the years of production. From what I can tell, a 1974 360 takes the same flywheel as a 1990.

So, my question is, will the 1990 360 fit as long as I change out the flex plate to a flywheel?

Thanks,
John

Now that's what I'm talkin' about... :) :chug: !

The 360 will be a direct bolt in as long as you can get a good flywheel. The block is the same as your 304 except for the stroke and the bore (that is why it is a 360).

Here is the WIKI link for AMC V8 360's. AMC V8 360 engine - Wikipedia

More power! :)

Thanks. I am a mechanic for a bus company, just never messed with the Jeep AMC stuff. I did know the 304, 360, 390, and 401 are all the same block. Mainly I have dealt with Ford and Cheby. But, a small block V-8 is a small block v-8. Still getting use to the distributor hanging off the front at a 22% angle..... :)

I wanted the 360 to get back some of the pony loss from altitude. 3% per 1000ft above sea level is average loss. I am at 6000-7000 ft, so I am down around 20% of my hp.

So, a 1990 360 will work? Anything other than a flywheel? Jegs has one pretty cheap.

I have another question. I am trying to clean up the engine bay some. Mine came with a smog pump, but it was disconnected from the manifolds. The manifolds look like :dung: with the plugs, etc.... I was wondering which headers will fit the stock exhaust well without braeking the bank. My collectors are only 2 bolt with the stock manifolds. Also, personal experience is that headers on 8 are kinda a PITA. Was wondering if I should go headers or just a stock manifold without all the smog pump :dung:.

Thanks!!!! :)

Is that 1990 360 fuel injected? :wtf:

You'll be dealing with that issue also, unless you decide to to go naturally aspirated ... in which case you will need to source out older AMC V8 components for the topend. Wouldnt be to hard though :)

It is a complete engine, include intake and carb. Besides, I have the 304 manifold, which is an Edebrock Performer Airgap. Edelbrock 600 cfm sitting on top of it. It will fit the 360.

Any suggestions on header that will bolt to a two bolt collector on a stock exhaust?

Also, want to paint the engine. What was the AMC/Jeep engine colors in the 70's?

Be more than happy to take some pics and document the install if you guys would like.

Thanks!

John

It is a complete engine, include intake and carb. Besides, I have the 304 manifold, which is an Edebrock Performer Airgap. Edelbrock 600 cfm sitting on top of it. It will fit the 360.

Any suggestions on header that will bolt to a two bolt collector on a stock exhaust?

Also, want to paint the engine. What was the AMC/Jeep engine colors in the 70's?

Thanks!

John

Ok. My opinion is to go with stock CJ cast manifolds off of a 304 that was in a CJ. The reason behind this is fitment. There are absolute nightmares about aftermarket header fitment/clearance. Another reason, is these dogleg manifolds offer better flow then the aftermarket headers. I've talked with tons of 401 guys who steered me in this direction. Guys who mudrace and need the flow at high RPM. I went with stock 304 manifolds and have been completely happy. I almost need a less free-flowing set of mufflers to provide some back pressure....or run a collector and dump the dual exhaust. But I like the sound of the dual exhaust, theres nothing meaner sounding then 430hp out of dual pipes :cool:

Someone here probably knows, but google the engine color....i know it has a specific name (probably AMC blue :D ), but it is an.....interesting....color to say the least.

Thanks, I was kinda thinking that myself. Plus, I have seen some AMC exhaust manifolds and they do not have a bad shape for flow compared to some other manufactures. Aftermarket headers on anything is a pain. Always fighting fit.

Hmmmm.....AMC blue was an interesting color? I might have an interesting engine. :)

Attached are a few pics of my CJ5.

I am also an Argo dealer if anyone needs any Argo parts or advice. Something I do on the side.

www.jacksonholeargo.com

Attachments

• IMGP0445.jpg
    IMGP0445.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMGP0446.jpg
    IMGP0446.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 75
I used to own a MAX II years ago. Probably the most fun ATV I've ever owned. Too bad it was an old model and had lots of problems. I had to sell it when I moved across the country :(.

Picture266.jpg

Just a warning. I bought a 360 flywheel from an ebay dealer thinking I would save some $$. When we tried to balance the motor, flywheel was 280 gms out of balance. Ended up buying a Hays for twice the price. It was out by 14 gms and easliy able to be -0-'d out. I am glad I didnt just put the motor in without getting it balanced. Ron

On the headers, I love the way mine sound... but thats about all I love about them...

I think i might have had better luck with inside the fenderwell headers, or at least more expensive ones... I bought the cheapies... From Summit, which I think were headman, though they were "Summit" Brand...?

They leak, look horrible if i don't constantly repaint with high temp paint, and make the drivers side of the engine compartment really tight to work in...

Now there are probably other causes for some of those things, but that's just my experience with cheapo headers on my 304...

All that said, I again love the sound when they are not leaking... And plan to get some better headers later in the "project"

:chug:

~ JR

Just a warning. I bought a 360 flywheel from an ebay dealer thinking I would save some $$. When we tried to balance the motor, flywheel was 280 gms out of balance. Ended up buying a Hays for twice the price. It was out by 14 gms and easliy able to be -0-'d out. I am glad I didnt just put the motor in without getting it balanced. Ron

Sounds like you ended up with a 304 flywheel :(

Jeep Weasel, welcome to the site,

Please allow me to throw a turd in the punch bowl,... Ive got a completely different take on the AMC header thought process. As early as the age 16 I found that a stock 304s number restriction was the exhaust manifolds. You can put a 4 barrel offy and holley 1850 4 barrel on a bone stock 304, and the only thing it will do is start and idle better, makes absolutely no more power than the the stock 2100 2 barrel.

Throw el-cheapo headers on that same late 70s Jeep, and your got an un-corked barn burner, or as close as your going to get with only 304 cubes. Drop a 360 in there even with a stock cam, and your got a street sleeper, but once again, only with headers.

Now Ive long since divorced myself from any AMC V8 with just because the horrific oiling system, but the only thing I remember is if you dont unplug the exhaust, it aint moving.

Jeep Weasel is at high altitude, the number one thing hes looking for is breathing ability.

Yes, the headers fit like :dung:, I ran fender-wells, was constantly burning myself on the mufflers (turbos), constantly eating exhaust, the sound, but my jeeps screamed, and speed to me was so much more important than the down sides.

Every Cj Ive owned has sported a 360 by the time I got done with it, including the one I have now, which I have since pulled that motor and sold it, to change it out to a fuel injected small block.

So to the "Jeep Weasel" when you get that 360 dropped in, if you drive it hard and your not impressed with its performance,(you should be have problems with your axle shaft flanges), think about headers.

No, as far as I know, no one makes headers that bolt up to the stock exhaust, nor have they ever.

One other thing, if that 360 does not have a high altitude 2100 2 barrel, they do make them, they have an aneroid on the back to lean out the mixture automatically. Not sure how high up your are.

If your high altitude, why not drop a turbo diesel in it ?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom