3spd tranny and 300 transcase fluid

3spd tranny and 300 transcase fluid

ftwflh

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ 5, 232 6cyl 3spd lots of rust,good frame,Dana 44s w/373 gears,ProComp 4in lift kit
Checked my tranny oil and couldnt touch it.Filled it then checked the Transfer Case and it was over full.Are these connected and if so what is the proper way to check fluid levels?

way back in the 70's I remember a factory recall that would have the Transmission pumping oil to the TC through the oil seal but I would drain and change and check in a couple hundred miles before I considered this as a possibility.:cool:

I don't think there ever was a 3 speed mated up to a Dana 300 TCase. Either you have a Dana 20 or a PO swapped out your tranny.
But from what I know about the Dana 300 it is sealed so it won't share oil with the tranny.(the same is true of the Dana 20 )

I bet you have a Dana 20

Both the TCase and Tranny have a fill plug that is at the upper oil level. Fill it until it starts to come out the hole.
I use a pump like this one.
12-10-08_1324.png

Last edited:
So either way I shouldnt get tranny oil in the Transfer Case .
This is the first time I have had time to check all the fluids so bare with me.
This is a turd in progress.Finally got the steering lined out.Now for a small oil leak and change the fluids.

True, no oil should go from the tranny to the tcase. Since that oil is so thick it is possible to overfill or under fill. Sometimes when i check that oil it comes back out when I remove the plug. Sometimes it seems a little low. I wouldn't worry about the exact level. It's okay to have it a little high. You just don't want to have a leak. Wipe the bottom of the tcase and tranny. Later look for fresh oil.

I have a leak somewhere but not a big one so I fill the tranny with oil til it comes out but still hear like a clinking noise coming out while driving but have no trouble shifting gears or anything. I just rebuilt the tranny not more than 8 months ago or so , has anyone else encountered this? if so, what was the problem/result?

I have a leak somewhere but not a big one so I fill the tranny with oil til it comes out but still hear like a clinking noise coming out while driving but have no trouble shifting gears or anything. I just rebuilt the tranny not more than 8 months ago or so , has anyone else encountered this? if so, what was the problem/result?
Keep your transmissionfull until you find the leak. Wipe the bottom of the tranny. A couple of days later look for fresh oil to help figure out where it is coming out. There are only a couple of places that could be leaking: the input shaft seal and the junction between the tranny and TCase. If you replaced the input shaft seal during the rebuild then I think it's the seal behind the Transmission . Am I correct in assuming you don't have a PTO plate on the side of your Transmission ?
If you can't find the source of the leak you might want to start you own thread. Call it something like "Transmission Leak"

Gasket kits are cheap.($15-20) Kits with seals are a little more expensive, but not by much. I got my Transfer Case gasket kit with seals from Morris for around $13. They also have a master rebuild kit with everything you need for the Transmission for $75. Don't waste your money buying the one from Novak because it's "Made in the USA" it's not. It's worth taking the time to replace them before you lose a bearing. (I learned the hard way) I rebuilt my Transmission & Transfer Case for under $300 including all fluids, tools purchased and rented. If you remove and replace the Transmission and Transfer Case , spend the $30 and rent a Transmission jack it's well worth the money of trying to fight with putting it back in. I think it took me about 20 minutes to put mine back in with the jack, and only had to get it from the floor to the jack. (7") I fought with it on my chest for an hour last time I put it in.

IT is a Dana 20 and 3spd T-150 .
I am confused by the manual saying "The Transfer Case and Transmission are not interconnected in Jeeps with 4speed as they are in some vehicles with 3sp transmissions"
I say this because I checked my fluids last week and got both the Transmission filled where it barely run out the hole and drained the Transfer Case down to where it quit running out the check hole.Now the fluid in tranny cant be felt with a bent finger and the Transfer Case is running out..
I have a leak some where but cant isolate it.Checked valve cover.....no leak
Have inspection cover down and rear seal looks dry as does the oil pan.
There is oil all over the tanny.I have some pics HELP ME PLEASE
I have loaded some pics but here is a link to my Photobuck

Jeep oil leak pictures by ftwflh - Photobucket

A couple of things could be happening. How's your oil level in the motor? could it be leaking out of the main bearing seal? Any or all of the seals in the Transmission or Transfer Case could be leaking. It's hard to tell with all of the build up. Start by taking it to a car wash or pressure wash it if you own one. Wear grubby clothes, because you're going to get dirty. Wash off the back of the engine, the Transmission , and the Transfer Case make sure to get around by the shifter seals on the Transfer Case . Once you have everything clean, start looking for fresh oil. Let us know what you find.

I know there is old build up that needs to be cleaned off but I have found fresh oil around the clutch lever boot and between the tranny and the Tcase.
No oil around the oil pan or running down from valve cover.
As of right now I have 20w50 oil but am changing it to 10w40 after I fix this tranny oil thing.

Found these numbers on the Tcase 300596-113 and 5354565 where can I decipher these

Last edited:
It sounds like you're leaking fluid out of the front seal for the clutch shaft, or the gasket that goes between the front bearing cap and the Transmission . Those would be the only two places that would leak fluid into the bell housing or between the bellhousing and Transmission unless it's coming from the motor.
As for the gasket between the Transmission and the Transfer Case , there are two different gaskets one is fairly open, and one is solid. I got the solid one with the Transmission rebuild kit, and the open one with the Transfer Case rebuild kit. I used the gasket that was more open. I couldn't see where it would hurt the Transfer Case to be too full. The vent is on the very top.
Another place for leaks is the bolts that hold the Transmission and Transfer Case together. The holes are tapped all the way through into the Transmission case. I used Permatex grey RTV sealant to seal all of my gaskets and the threads of the bolts. I put a thin coat on both sides of the gaskets. I have zero leaks for the first time since I bought it in 1992. (No puddles in the driveway):D
I'd pull both the Transmission and Transfer Case , pull them apart, inspect them for worn or broken parts, and rebuild them. I spent less than $300 on both including renting the Transmission jack and buying a few tools. On the Transmission , I got the rebuild kit. I replaced all of the bearings, synchros, snap rings,seals and gaskets. All of my gears were in great shape. On the Transfer Case , I just did the seals and gaskets everything in there was in great shape too. I should have bought new thrust washers for the intermediate gear, but mine were still within specs. If you have any questions on how to do something on the Transmission and Transfer Case , just ask. I'm more than happy to help out.

Dave S

We are planning on pulling the tranny tomorrow.IF I have any problem I will drop you a PM.
Thanks Brad

Got the tranny out.Clutch was shot,gaskets leaking on front of tranny.
Going to get a seal kit for both tranny and Tcase.
Any tips?????????????

So it was the seal at the input shaft of the tranny. That's easy to replace. Unbolt the flange holding on the input shaft. The seal is in the back of that.
But as you've said this is the time to replace all seals on the tranny and TCase.

Going to clean it all up and paint it AMC blue tooo so leaks will be easier to find later.
Hope the big snow holds off until I get it all back together:)

Clean everything really really really good, and wipe down any gasket surfaces with rubbing alcohol before you put anything back together. Other than that, good luck. Hope it comes out as good as mine.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom