4.0 swap

4.0 swap

Ejm

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 c-30 496 bbc, 01 Tahoe, 04 chevy 2500 ,1980 cj7
Will a newer 4.0 l bolt up to a 80 CJ7 with an automatic? Just wondering if the bell housing bolt holes are the same

Will a newer 4.0 l bolt up to a 80 CJ7 with an automatic? Just wondering if the bell housing bolt holes are the same

yes and no. Any year 4.0 will mate to your tranny no problem. 99 up 4.0s changed the motor mount configuration so they do not bolt right up to the 258 mounts. SO the later 4.0 s are no more bolt in than a chevy or ford engine would be in that youll have to customize your motor mounts. Early 4.0s should work no problem.

I think they are 91-97

And are the 93-up HO motors? Thought I heard that also?

I believe any past 91 are considered HO thats 91-06. Although I think after 95 they stopped using the HO tag. HO refers to the redesigned head that came out in the 91 models. They also redesigned the injection system that year as well.

Everything I have seen indicates that the bottom ends of the pre 91 4.0s are the same. So you could easily get say an 89 4.0 block and use a 4.0 head and injection and see the same results.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks