Build Thread 47 CJ-2A build

Build Thread 47 CJ-2A build

rydoo3

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
48 cj2a old plow ( stock, 12volt upgrade)
47 cj2a ( project )
97 chevy blazer
what kind of shackles are those in the last pic?

They are custom, I designed and drew them, then had them cut on a CNC plasma cutter at school. I actually had them made for my chevy to give 1.25 in. lift but i just drilled the holes out larger and they fit on the ol willys and give me 2.5 in. of lift.
If you like them I think I got the .DXF file laying around

wonder how they will perform
looks like your well on your way
no turning back now lol keep picts coming good luck with your build
about finished mine but you know the deal they never end always find something you want to do :chug:
what are you doing for drive train
good luck take your time make it look great
if you have any questions or need any pointers/advice feel free to ask

Man thats gonna look sweet....the shackles are neat looks neat

Thanks for the comments
got something in the mail today ....
View attachment 3871

and its attaching this to my T-90

View attachment 3868

also got some help from my brother and pulled a steering gearbox from an old chevy caprice thinking it will work alright for power steering.

View attachment 3869

and finally got that hitch thing attached to the bumper.

View attachment 3870

Probably gunna spend the next couple days getting the input shaft out of the tranny so i'm ready to put it together when i get the longer one

just a little something to look at before you tackle attaching Transfer Case to Transmission the advance adapter adapters add 3 1/2 more length so cutting drive shafts will be in future also relocating Transmission cross member , the novak adapter is more of a straight forward approach with less cutting and fabrication required
don't get me wrong advance adapters makes a great adapter and lots of other things I have a bunch they just don't consider a person doing there conversion in there garage but more shop orientated as for novak its all straight forward no guess work
I started with the advance set up till I ran into many issues so I yanked it and used the novak set up and it all went in smooth
what ever you decide is your choice you have one hell of a jeep there
remember mark and bag all parts so when you start reassembling you know whats what and it goes back together smooth
maybe some time we can hit the trails :chug:

Thanks for the advice. yeah i just went with the one i could find cheaper. Money in the variable that i'm short on. I have a lot steel laying around the corner and i'm a pretty good welder. ( what i'm going to school for) It doesn't hurt that this jeep is actually being pieced together with parts from 2 different CJ2a 's and i have lots of parts laying around. So when i get to that part i'll let you know how i managed it. lol

I know that money thing well ,
just wanted to let you know so your not pulling your hair out like I did
If you come across parts you need and cant find them I have a good long source list just give me a shout
Good to see a young guy like you taking on a project like this if only I could motivate my son keep picts coming and if you need help with anything or pointers everyone on the site be happy to help :chug:

heres another site you may be interested in
http://www.thecj2apage.com/

Last edited:
Its been awhile. Spent some time on this week so far dropped the motor in, fits like a glove. Got the motor mounts all fabricated and every thing is tight. I didn't have the clutch stuff so i'm going to have to pull it and throw that in there later. Main goal right now is to figure out how i'm going to fit the steering box between the engine and frame.
but this is where im at so far...
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4915&stc=1&d=1300846775

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4916&stc=1&d=1300846812

What kind of rubber is that? Gates XT Comando?

Its been awhile. Spent some time on this week so far dropped the motor in, fits like a glove. Got the motor mounts all fabricated and every thing is tight. I didn't have the clutch stuff so i'm going to have to pull it and throw that in there later. Main goal right now is to figure out how i'm going to fit the steering box between the engine and frame.
but this is where im at so far...

Do you have any room to the right you may need to shift motor over a inch or 2
I ran into that issue also because of the headers , don't forget to allow for your headers/exhaust
http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/40cherokee/empty1/willys/0021.jpg
0021.jpg

Sorry its been so long, life has got pretty busy lately. Somehow i became president of the Motorsports club at college. We got the brilliant idea to put a 6.0 powerstroke, modified for biodiesel, into a ford ranger splash and that has been taking up most of my wrenching time over the past few weeks.

Anyhow, to plasticCJ7, yes they are Gates, something my grandpa had laying around from sometime past and I figured they looked cool on there for now.
To flying brick, yes the caster angle is terrible, but they always were in those older jeeps lol. I expect that the caster will be corrected when i shim the axles for the proper pinion angle.
To 54cj3b from what i'v been looking at I have enough room for the steering gear as long as i have some wicked headers or some crazy spacers to push the manifolds out a bit. Looking at the picture my engine sits a bit lower in the frame than yours. The 2As didn't have as high of a hood at the 3Bs so everything is mounted lower. If i had headers like your I think they might interfere with the tire when fully turned, but i can say for sure. Right now I was thinking of doing something dumb/oddballish and put like a 2 in spacer between the heads and exhaust manifolds or buy some stainless tube and have a guy i know bend them just the way i want and make my own headers. Still up in the air. What kind of headers do you have on yours ?

Another change in the planning was that my automotive instructor talked me into going fuel injection. So one of these days I'm going to have to make a stop by the junkyard and pull a wire harness and a computer or two. Just one more adventure in this project I guess.

did you box the frame in front of the front cross member? this is a notoriously weak point on the early cjs. ugly jeep over on the 2a forum makes em for like 20.00. work great and look factory once done.
Rick

Yes harveynailbanger they are boxed. They have been for some time before i ever came into possession sadly they arn't quite strait but i can live with one side a bit higher than the other.
Spent some time today attempting to figure out my new mess of wires and plugs and sensors. Honestly think I understand what needs to stay and what can go. As of right now it nothing more than a large amount of messed up wires.
View attachment 5405

Hopefully by next week they will be all tied back into place an i might take a shot at starting the darn thing

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom