470 or 670 carb for a v8 302

470 or 670 carb for a v8 302

panamacj5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
cj5 v8 302 tranny t-19 dana300 dana30/amc20,
4runner 91 2.8 diesel
Hey...i need to buy my carb and ive read in differente posts different opinions i was wondering which one will be better for my ford 302? they guy who is building the engine says the 670 will the best choice after he tunes it a little bit...i will apreciate if someone can educate me on this please

The 670 is good for a 302 in a Jeep. I think any bigger and it will just hurt your gas mileage.

I've ran a 600 cfm on my ford 302 in my 74 CJ5 it loads up when crawling around. I've rejetted it and messed around with it a TON! It is to big for using for a rock crawler. Bought a 500 cfm cured it. You just don't get enough velocity through the carb with a 600 cfm around 2000 or lower to make it work right. So go with the 470 cfm and don't look back.

Last edited:
I should have asked what your doing with your jeep? What's been done to the motor? I gained 2 mpg with the 500 cfm because it works better at atomizing the fuel at lower rpms. I still only get 12 to 13 mpg with it though.

thanks for the replys...down here we have tons of mud and huge hills...hardly any rock crawling, it will have d60/14bolt with 40's
should i go with the 470:confused:

If you're building the 302 for higher RPM in the mud, go with the 670 and match it with a good intake and cam.

If you're building not much more than low RPM torque, the 470 is the one you want, again with the right intake and cam.

everything will be stock except for the camshaft and intake manifold basic operation range starting at 1500 rpm and a msd distributor without box...my top rpm 4 wheeling will not go over 4500...so will the 470 truck avenger be the best for my rig ?
thanks for all your inputs :chug:

IMHO Holleys suck off road unless it is highly modified or the T/A version.

A 470 would give you better all-around performance. The #1 mistake that people make, be it on a street car, drag car, or jeep, is they put way too much carb on the engine. The 470 is a poplar choice with the FSJ crowd and that is on 360 cid engines.

A 470 would give you better all-around performance. The #1 mistake that people make, be it on a street car, drag car, or jeep, is they put way too much carb on the engine. The 470 is a poplar choice with the FSJ crowd and that is on 360 cid engines.

X2 I argee with Incommando the reason why my 302 had a 600 on it the PO installed it. At the time didn't want to spend the money to buy a diffrent one. Go with the 470.

I agree, I have the 470 T/A on my AMC 304 , without a cam, and it's seems a bit too big. I've already had overfueling problems with it, but I have been tuning it and it's been improving with everything I do. A mild cam is exactly what my engine needs with the 470. I wouldn't go any bigger than the 470, and make sure that you buy the T/A version and you won't be dissapointed. The 302 fords have way better head flow than the AMC 304s do.. it would be a good combo.

Ok thanks everybody for their input ...i think i will go with the 470 truck avenger ...but before let me add that i have read in several posts and in holley's webpage that the 470 is not recommended in v8 engines ...any knows anything about this ?:eek:

Ok thanks everybody for their input ...i think i will go with the 470 truck avenger ...but before let me add that i have read in several posts and in holley's webpage that the 470 is not recommended in v8 engines ...any knows anything about this ?:eek:

It's marketing :dung:. Feel free to ignore that. 470 CFM is fine for a AMC 304 with a stock cam.

If you're running a race cam with solid lifters and a big open single plane intake, and you're pushing 7K RPM, you could use a 670. But you're not so go with the 470.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom