4brrl or not?

4brrl or not?

Jeep

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-5
I was thinking of installing a new intake on my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l that would accept a 4 brrl carb. I have a gm 350 I can install with a kit but figured the upgrade to the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l might be a bit cheaper.Anyone here have any past experiences with either.Any light shed on the subject would be appreciated!!! :confused:

Offenhauser makes a 4bbl intake for that AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6 and it's a pretty popular swap item. I personally have never had any experience doing this but many use the Holly / Offenhauser combination.

Did you see this post -->> http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f93/member-slimers-1979-cj5-642/ ? Our member Slimer has put a fuel injection unit from a Cherokee on his 79 CJ. Might be a worth a look...

Do you mean is the 4bbl intake a better upgrade then swapping ina 350 v8? I thought you had a carb off of a 350! :confused:

Putting a Chevy in is a heck of allot more difficult then an intake swap. What year Chevy? What Transmission ?

Or am I just screwed up and really off on this one? Can you elaborate?

Sorry, what i meant was i have a gm 350 engine.I know it would be a lot of work but between the intake,carb,and linkage kit were talkin between 7 and 800.00. The swap on the other hand is time consuming and full of hidden fees!

I bet you could find a used Offy for about $AMC 150 , a good 4bbl for 50 or even cheaper and the linkage - well make it... :)

As for the 350 swap, that would entail much work but it is done all the time. It's very popular and every piece you would need is available in the aftermarket.

I always wanted a jeep.My dad had one when i was a kid so i finally bought ine.Prob was it was beat! Wouldnt stay runnin , smoked more than i did. So i tore it down and pulled the engine to replace all the gaskets but once i did that i thought well...its out and clean..might as well paint it.Then firewall,frame...!My cj is snowballin! lol:drool:

I always wanted a jeep.My dad had one when i was a kid so i finally bought ine.Prob was it was beat! Wouldnt stay runnin , smoked more than i did. So i tore it down and pulled the engine to replace all the gaskets but once i did that i thought well...its out and clean..might as well paint it.Then firewall,frame...!My cj is snowballin! lol:drool:

You've got the JEEP fever :chug: its the 'might-as-wells' that get ya in the pocketbook.

Remember:
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Please start a jeep build thread. :notworthy: I need the motivation. When I see other people doing stuff to there jeeps, and I'm on the couch reading this forum, it makes me go into the garage. I was going to do what was necessary do make my jeep road worthy at first. After seeing what some of the other guys on here were doing and others end results, I decided to go a little deeper. If its not ready for summer, I figure I can always ride my motorcycle instead. :)

You make a great point concerning motivation. I was just going to change the Transmission out in my CJ and just get it driveable again but after seeing what others are doing and have done, I decided on a total rebuild.

I believe that many of us feed on the inspiration of others...

Just don't tell my wife, you guys just cost us a ton of money!:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom