4WD Low jumps out of gear in Dana 20

4WD Low jumps out of gear in Dana 20

cgeorge5150

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5 - 2 in body lift, 258 L6, T-18, Dana/spicer 20, Dana 30 in front, Dana 44 with Detroit EZ Locker in rear, 4:56, Holly 4 BBL, 33's
2000 Silverado Z-71, 5.3L, 6 inch suspension lift, Chipped, 33's
2006 Suburban (family car means no real mods)
I took my '75 CJ5 out last Sunday climbing and crawling, during ascents I would find that the 4WD Low would jump out of gear multiple times, and though it is not marked it would go into a "2 Low" (The Transfer knob is 4 HI, 2 HI, N, and 4 LO)... But Jeep was definitely in 2WD, and if I shifted it up one, I was in neutral. A) Is this common or did PO do something I was not informed of. B) what do I need to remedy the jumping out of 4 Low. I will check the linkage, but if that doesn't fix the problem I was thinking of replacing the interlock springs. Any other ideas or places to find the springs, or will I need an entire rebuild kit? Best places to purchase parts?

Jumping out of gear usually means a gear is worn. When it jumps out of 4WD low I assume you mean it's the front drive shaft that disengages. In that case your problem is a large gear on the front output shaft that is popping out of place. When you shift into 4WS low this gear is slid to mesh with an idle gear. That is where your problem is. To fix it right you need to rebuild the Transfer Case .
This might be a good time to get a Terra Low kit and put in lower gears.
dana_20.gif

Last edited:
are the two clips between the twin sticks there they look kind of like this with a slight curve in them to make them apply tension between the shifters holding them in place
the pins are located right above the floor pan between shifters as marked in red in diagram

click on pict to make it larger

are the two clips between the twin sticks there they look kind of like this with a slight curve in them to make them apply tension between the shifters holding them in place
the pins are located right above the floor pan between shifters as marked in red in diagram

It is not a twin stick

I run a bungie cord to hold them in place.

So one month later thought I would give an update. I put the TeraLow gears in, and the old gears showed signs of wear but not enough to really knock it out of gear. Finally discovered that the shift rod on the Transfer Case is being bumped by the body lift... Still occuring, so plan is to bend the rail and give a little more space between the two. Anybody have a better idea?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom