5 speed transmission fly wheel exposed

5 speed transmission fly wheel exposed

wade919

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7, 5 speed , 6 cylinder
I have a 1984 CJ7 that was modified by the previous owner. I7 now has a AMC 304 V8 with a 5 speed Transmission . I think it is a T-5 . My problem is that the fly wheel and starter teeth are exposed. I have looked for a cover online but have been unable to find anything except a Rugged Ridge at JC Whitney. I looks to small. Mine looks like the bottom front half of the bell housing is missing.
Am I screwed. any help apperciated.
PS Transmission seems ok ...for now

That's the inspection cover...They're not real big and only cover the exposed area you are talking about.

I strongly recommend locating one to keep your throwout bearing and clutch components from becoming to exposed to road debris, mud, water...

Thanks for the quick replies. I feel better about it. I found one for $18 at 4wd once I knew what I was looking for.

Yep ..don't know if that was ever a production model. But it is a AMC 304 V8 with a 5 speed. Did the 5 speed come in latter , its on an 84 chassis

The AMC 304 was offered in the '70s and never came with a 5 speed.
The T-5 was offered in the '80s and had a hard time behind a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .
Yes many people will say they run a T-5 for many years without any problems.
But in my opinion the T-5 was the worst tranny ever to go into a CJ.

Yep...It's the AMC 304 that isn't original in your Jeep.

We've heard of some flywheels that are still exposed even with this cover at the bottom. In that case it can be bad to have a cover at the bottom because it can keep rocks and debris in there causing more damage!

We've heard of some flywheels that are still exposed even with this cover at the bottom. In that case it can be bad to have a cover at the bottom because it can keep rocks and debris in there causing more damage!

:confused: Debris (of any substantial amount) wont get in there if the cover is there in the first place. In this case "some fly wheels" doesnt include an AMC V8, or even the I6 as the flywheel and interior bellhousing is completely shielded by the cover ;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom