64 Project newbee needs help

64 Project newbee needs help

smracer9

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1963 CJ5 F134
I just picked up a 64 that I was not really planning on buying but the price was soo low etc....you know the rest of the story. I really don't know too much about Jeeps but am getting interested in this one. So here are a couple of questions I need answers on and don't laugh too much.

I drove this beauty down the highway and found I could obtain the blinding speed of about 35 mph. Is this what I can expect because of the gearing?

The engine does not smoke and does seem to run pretty good for 90k miles on the clock.

What can I expect for compression on the engine.

If I rebuild the engine can I expect better highway speeds, don't want to go real fast but would like to keep up with traffic.

I plan to drive it locally and will have Limited off road use.

Should I change the gearing or the engine?

Thanks for your help

I believe with you having a 63 theres a chance you could have 5:13 gears.
If so that would explain why your taced out by 55. Check you gear ratio and see what you have.

The F-134 engine is rated about 75 HP when fresh and the CJ not being aerodynamic at all leaves you with a top speed depending on gearing around 50 mph on flat ground. You say you will use it very little offroad and that is probably that motors better application so a motor upgrade may be your best bet. Sort of opens a can of worms though I must say because you will then find you don't have adaquite brakes for higher speeds and the early Ross steering system needs to be in perfect order to be halfway safe at highway speeds, etc, etc.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom