Build Thread 65-79 Frankenstein build

Build Thread 65-79 Frankenstein build

Reaper47336

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1999 Ford F250 7.3 Powerstroke, 65/79 cj5 304 Dana 27, Dana 44 UNDER THE KNIFE
Hey guys, I'm new to the jeep world and semi new to fabricating. I originally bought a 65 CJ5 with the intentions of doing a frame off custom build. First thing I decided I really didn't like the frame and how weak it was. I purchased a 308, tranny, and Transfer Case from someone in the area. I decided that I was going to box the original frame even though alot of places have either been rewelded and broken. The guy I bought the engine from got ahold of me thru another forum and informed me that he had a spare chassis that was already boxed in and rust free and if I wanted it I could come get it. I spent the last month grinding it to bare metal and recoating it. It wasn't until recently when I went to order the spring hangars and suspension components I looked at the frame a little more and realized it is a '79 CJ5 frame. I have tried to find any builds where people have done this and all I can find is the compatability on earlycj5.com (which for some reason I cannot register there) that they are not easily compatable but it is possible. I am hoping that someone can share their knowledge or expertise to help me get past this point. I will upload pictures of my build so far as soon as I get home tonight. Thank you guys so much and I hope you enjoy reading and following as much as I've enjoyed the build so far.

:popcorn: Waiting for pics with anticipation.

I've tried to upload the pictures from my iPhone but am unsuccessfully so I will upload them tonight. A problem I am having is trying to find out if the Dana 27 front and 44 rear are still useable. With some quick measurements it looks as though the leaf spring perches will have to be welded practically right next to the drum brakes at the end, can anyone shed some light on this?

A problem I am having is trying to find out if the Dana 27 front and 44 rear are still useable. With some quick measurements it looks as though the leaf spring perches will have to be welded practically right next to the drum brakes at the end, can anyone shed some light on this?

Best to ask your questions in the appropriate sections of the forum and just document your build here. I'd post this question in the drivetrain section and I'm sure you'll get a quicker response.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom