Electrical '68 cj5 solenoid(s), Dauntless V6

Electrical '68 cj5 solenoid(s), Dauntless V6

its415dave

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1968 Jeep CJ5. Dauntless Odd-Fire V6.
I've had Jeep for 6-8 months. It started and ran (not great but was drivable) when I bought it.

I'm troubleshooting a no start issue after replacing a old HEI distributor with a new HEI one. I'm not getting enough volts to fire the new HEI. Was originally was at 10.5 volts at startup. I've replaced battery, voltage regulator. tested alt at O'Reillys and is good. I've cleaned up the grounds and replaced battery cables. Now going thru engine wiring harness. Checking connections etc. I got it up to 11 volts but still won't start. Seems like it wants to.

I've noticed PO has 2 solenoids on Jeep. The one attached to starter and a Ford type on firewall. This seems wrong to me. I've also don't see the firewall solenoid on a wiring diagram.

Any ideas, thoughts??

Solution
If the voltage @ the HEI = battery voltage @ startup you most likely have a bad dist. The normal low voltage threshold for a GM type HEI is 9 volts to trigger with 11.5+ optimal during run.
Let's do a quick trouble shoot.
The Jeep originally used a ballist system to the coil. What happens when you run a temporary power wire directly to the positive terminal on the battery?

If the voltage @ the HEI = battery voltage @ startup you most likely have a bad dist. The normal low voltage threshold for a GM type HEI is 9 volts to trigger with 11.5+ optimal during run.

Solution
seems to be looking that way. going to multi-meter now. multi-meter troubleshooting instructions came with distributor. Thanks CJ

if anyone knows answer to the 2 solenoid question pls let me know, much apricated.

seems to be looking that way. going to multi-meter now. multi-meter troubleshooting instructions came with distributor. Thanks CJ

if anyone knows answer to the 2 solenoid question pls let me know, much apricated.
A Ford seenoid is stock for 70s and up CJs and is common swap for early ones without them. The one on the firewall is not stock so no wiring diagram.
As for why? Who knows... :chug: Sound like a good candidate for this thread...

its the coil in the cap. only .3 ohms. should be at least .6, secondary resistance is within spec. Thanks everyone for help.

i'm leaving firewall solenoid for now. it originally ran with it. i'll look more into it later.

its the coil in the cap. only .3 ohms. should be at least .6, secondary resistance is within spec. Thanks everyone for help.

i'm leaving firewall solenoid for now. it originally ran with it. i'll look more into it later.
Sorry about the new HEI coil. Is the old coil ok? You should be able to temporarily swap it in to test.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom