'72-'75 Clutch Return Sprng Placement

'72-'75 Clutch Return Sprng Placement

Nomad127

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'73 CJ5 with '84 258, D30/D44
Can anyone tell my where the clutch return spring attaches to the pedal/assembly? I took it apart and can't figure out how it goes back. Of course, I didn't take a photo like I should have. Thanks!

Can you take a shot of it now? I just hooked into a hole that was on my pedal assembly.

I just took a shot. ;)

The spring in the picture is for my brake pedal.

attachment.php

Sorry for the confusion CJ but thanks for the help. Its the return spring on the clutch pedal assembly underneath the dash.

That is a side shot of my pedal assembly. I have no idea if it is not stock for a 72.

Really. That looks nothing like mine. Maybe I'll just drill a hole where I think it should be. I doubt I'll be the first.

"A" is the part I have no clue where it goes. The only place it can really attach on the pedal bracket is a hole on the back side nearest the firewall. the problem is where it will logically attach to the frame of the assembly. There one hole on the frame assembly that appears to work but almost in reverse. Once you push the pedal 2" from its uppermost point, the spring drops the pedal all the way down. Just doesn't make sense.

I've got a 74 at home... I'll try to remember to take a shot of the spring etc later tonight and post for you. If you don't already have it figured out...

:chug:

~ JR

I've got a 74 at home... I'll try to remember to take a shot of the spring etc later tonight and post for you. If you don't already have it figured out...

~ JR
I'm still completely lost on this one. Anything would help. Thanks!

I'm almost sure my pedal assembly looks similar to yours, but haven't been down there in a min... :cool:

I'm getting ready for my camp trip this weekend, so don't shoot me if it slips my mind this afternoon... If you don't see my post on here around 3:30 PM PST (California Time) shoot me a PM to remind me... They "usually" pop up on my I-Phone e-mail... :D

~ JR

As promissed... Though not sure how helpful...

Looks like (if this is the correct spring you're reffering to...) it connects to the front (towards the front of the jeep / firewall) of the clutch pedal, and runs to the back (closer to driver) side of the whole pedal assembly... I snapped a few more, but not much clearer.

I did find a broken spring of my own I hadn't noticed... :mad:

And a rather thick spider web...:eek: while i was under there...

I should add in second photo i say fire wall attachment, i just meant firewall side... It does not attach to the Firewall...

~ JR

basicaly I think it goes like this to use your drawing... Should be holes already, there are in mine anyways...

~ JR

As promissed... Though not sure how helpful...

Looks like (if this is the correct spring you're reffering to...) it connects to the front (towards the front of the jeep / firewall) of the clutch pedal, and runs to the back (closer to driver) side of the whole pedal assembly... I snapped a few more, but not much clearer.

I did find a broken spring of my own I hadn't noticed... :mad:

And a rather thick spider web...:eek: while i was under there...

I should add in second photo i say fire wall attachment, i just meant firewall side... It does not attach to the Firewall...

~ JR
That helps to confirm the only place that I can get the spring to attach without a fight. What keeps your pedal from going all the way to the floor once you push the pedal more than 3-4 inches? It just seems like I'm missing something. I'll try to attach the whole assembly as you describe along with the clutch rod in place and maybe there's something there that I'm not seeing. Thanks JR!

I believe at that point it has the restriction of the clutch fork / pressure plate itself to hold it up...

The spring only holds it while no foot on it I believe... :confused:

but once you start to engage the clutch it (the spring) doesn't hold or mess with it.

Nomad127,

How did it go? Any luck getting it on there?:D

~ JR

Damn job keeps getting in the way. I won't be able to mess with it until next week now. I'll post up once I get it done. Thanks again.

Nomad127 -

Was wondering if you ever got the clutch return spring installed and if it worked as shown in JR's photos? I've got a 75 CJ5 and the spring placement as shown in JR's photos, although it appears the most logical points to attach it, just doesn't seem to function like I would think it should. It doesn't really return the pedal and really doesn't hold the pedal up all that well. I'm in the midst of a complete rebuild, so I can't hook up the complete clutch linkage yet to test it out.

I didn't take pictures either when I took it apart and the PO had the wrong spring installed anyway.

Thanks, Bill

I did a little more research on this thing and came to the realization, that it's not a clutch return spring. It's called an over center spring. It doesn't quite make all that much sense to me, but basically JR was right when he said "the spring only holds it when while no foot on it". Anyway, here is a pic of how I got it installed, with a make-do spring. Hope this works. Let me know if something looks wrong.

Thanks, Bill

Bill it looks right as far as mine it hooked up... But no idea if mine is hooked up correctly :cool:

JR -

After reading threads on several other forums, I think it's right. All the spring does is hold the pedal up, when it's not in use. I guess the idea is not to put any additional spring tension on the pedal when you engage the clutch.

Anyway, thanks for posting the pics.

Bill

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom