72 CJ5 Seats

03TRTJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1972 Jeep CJ5 304,
2003 Jeep Rubicon,
1997 Jeep Cherokee
Would like to see some pictures of seats from 72-75 CJ5s if anyone has any, mine are rotten and would like some ideas other than stock type replacements before I make up my mind. What have you all got? Thanks

72 ~ 75 CJ's did not very 'user friendly' seat mounting brackets. I put some racing buckets in my 72.

cj_lft3.jpg

I have a set of SCAT Rally seats in my 73 CJ5 . They are fairly nice, but not perfect. I made a set of custom brackets and it does allow some reclining and adjustment. I noticed on the SCAT website that they also offer a series of Jeep specific seats.

My issue is that the seat sides inhibit getting in and out. I wonder if a standard flat low back seat would be better overall. The CJ5 's are fairly tight for space. I can get by as I am only 5'9", but I still struggle.

I installed Smittybilt low back black vinyl buckets and matching fold and tumble seat. I wanted the seats to look close to the originals. The new seats were taller than the original(thicker padding)and I was looking through the top of the windshield. I cut the original seat brackets about 3-1/2" and rewelded them so that they still install in original position.

I also installed a Grant steering wheel, 14" black foam with black spokes. I cut the steering column 4" and rewelded. The ergonomics are great!

Do not throw the old seats away. One day it will dawn on you that taking them to a trim shop for padding and re cover just may give you the most comfortable ride you are going to find in an old Jeep. And you won't have to re invent the wheel to mount them.:D

I recommend boat vinyl.:cool:

I installed Smittybilt low back black vinyl buckets and matching fold and tumble seat. I wanted the seats to look close to the originals. The new seats were taller than the original(thicker padding)and I was looking through the top of the windshield. I cut the original seat brackets about 3-1/2" and rewelded them so that they still install in original position.

I also installed a Grant steering wheel, 14" black foam with black spokes. I cut the steering column 4" and rewelded. The ergonomics are great!

Do you have a pic of your shortened steering column. I've been thinking about doing the same thing.

Sorry, no picture and the Jeep is 200 miles away. Shortening the column was easy. Older Jeeps like ours don't have the signal switch or ignition built into them. Basically just a tube with a shaft inside. I removed the column, took it apart, and cut the outer tube with a saw. You need to cut it square so it butts together evenly once you remove the piece. I removed a section between the dash and the steering wheel so the mount would not need to be changed. I slit the piece that was removed lengthwise and squeezed it halfway into each of the 2 pieces that were cut to hold them straight and even. This also gave some back up to the weld. I wire welded the 2 back together and sanded the weld flush. some primer and paint finished the outer tube. I cannot even tell where it was cut!

The shaft was cut an equal amount closer to the firewall. I slid a piece of tubing about 6" long over the shaft, about halfway over each piece. The tube was a snug fit. I welded each end. I also cross drilled the tube and the shaft in 2 places and inserted a pin in each hole which I welded in place. This is just insurance so that the shaft doesn't break apart.

I hope that this helps! Wish I had taken a few pics when I did this:(

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom