73 CJ Alternator Wiring

73 CJ Alternator Wiring

ThePunisher

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1973 CJ5, 304, 4.27 Dana 30 Front, 4.27 Dana 44 Rear, 2 1/2" Lift, 33x12.5x15 Pro Comp M/Ts
Does anyone have pictures of how their wiring is on the back of their alternator? I have a chiltons manual but it's different than the alt that was on my CJ when I got it but I replaced it with a stock one and I just want to make sure the wiring is correct. I've pretty much seen all of the diagrams online for 72-73 but if anyone has pictures or could take pictures of their wiring on their stock alt that would help. Thank you!​

I don't have any pictures of the stock one, and it has since been replaced...

I have fought alternator problems myself though a few times... Any particular questions on the wiring?

I don't have any pictures of the stock one, and it has since been replaced...

I have fought alternator problems myself though a few times... Any particular questions on the wiring?
But you are the on to talk to about how deep you can go in water before you fry your alt. :D:D

But you are the on to talk to about how deep you can go in water before you fry your alt. :D:D
:laugh:

Going to ask CJ to change my title From "Old Time Jeeper" to "Deep Water Alternator Destroyer!"

:cool:

:chug:
~ JR

This link should tell you ALL you need to know about wiring up alternators and a lot you don't want to know. It maybe more technical than you want. Scroll about 3/4 of the way down to get to the SI Series / 2-terminal Alternators.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Wiring/Part2/

my alt doesn't look like that at all

It looks like this, except it has a condenser
01-0174m-bac.jpg

my alt doesn't look like that at all

It looks like this, except it has a condenser
01-0174m-bac.jpg

I bought the one with condenser from pep boys. Wiring as follows...

attachment.php

** This is where if you start having problems with jeep not shutting off when key is turned off, you need to put a one way resistor into the wiring... Just in case :cool: As I said, have had a few problems with my alternator... (and not all from the submarine-ing of my jeep...!) :D

:chug:

~ JR

A diode is what you want to prevent the current from flowing both directions.

You should use them to wire a car to be towed and use the same tail lights. You tap in and use the diode to keep power form the towing car from flow into the components on the toad.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom