77 Cj7 258 straight six problems

77 Cj7 258 straight six problems

CoreyYoungCj577

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 cj7 232 inline 6,Dana 20 Tc,T-150 Trans, stock diffs.
Ok so as the title says i have a 77 CJ7 with a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l inline six 3 speed Transmission and everything else stock and last night i was talking to elwood and he told me to check the timing by moving the fan to see if harmonic balancer was moving in synch with everything else and i tryed doing that and my belt wouldnt move the fan moved but the belt just stayed there and i also put the new fuel filter on today and it still wont start so what do you think i should do? Also to fill you all in one night i went and and drove my cj around and i came home parked it and the next day she wouldnt start and when she did it ran like hell and had no throttle response? could it be carb issues?

Last edited:
Huh?

Punctuation is your friend... :)

Move the fan?

I do not understand...:)

Huh?

Punctuation is your friend... :)

Move the fan?

I do not understand...:)

Sorry i should have thought about that what i mean is elwood told me to move the fan with my hand, and see if everything was in sync. When i tried the just the fan itself moved, not the belt not the pulleys. what does that mean?

Sorry i should have thought about that what i mean is elwood told me to move the fan with my hand, and see if everything was in sync. When i tried the just the fan itself moved, not the belt not the pulleys. what does that mean?
Still not getting you...

How do you move a 'fan'?

Throw us a bone here! We cannot read your mind... :)

Still not getting you...

How do you move a 'fan'?

Throw us a bone here! We cannot read your mind... :)

The front pully fan you use your hands and pull on it and get it to move and rotate the fan as if you were turning the key but your using your hands instead to see the pullys move without turning over the engine lol

OK, I think I got this.
You're trying to rotate everything by turning the fan by hand instead of using the starter, but the fan belt slips on the pulley?
Sounds like good compression. Pull the spark plugs.
I don't quite understand why you're doing this, but then I'm not a master mechanic.

Alright, the plan was to have Corey roll the engine over, by hand, to check to make sure that the timing chain wasn't slipping. By watching the lower pulley that's connected to the harmonic balancer/crankshaft and the upper pulley connected to the cam shaft. If the two pulley's move in synch then the timing chain isn't slipping.

I was telling him that I can roll my engine over by hand just by pulling on the fan.

Corey, if you can't roll your engine over by grabbing the fan. Like KenB said, and BrockGrimes said last night, pull a spark plug, or two, or three, to relieve some of the compression pressure.

If you still can't roll it over by hand. You can put a socket w/ a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer nut and roll it over that way. That is actually the recommended way to roll over your engine by hand.

LOL you guys are funny....He can't turn the engine cause its got a FAN CLUTCH on it!

. When i tried the just the fan itself moved, not the belt not the pulleys.

Yea do as elwood says in the previous post and turn the fan with a large breaker bar and socket on the harmonic balancer bolt.
A better way to tell of the timing chain is stretched is to pop the distributor cap off and watch the rotor. If the breaker bar moves more than <say> 15 degrees before the rotor moves, the chain is due for replacement. Remember to rotate the breaker bar both ways to take the slack out one way, then measure it going the other way.

Fan clutch duh_smiley.png

I never thought about him having a fan clutch.

OK, forgot about modern inventions like fan clutches.

Also, might want to be sure the Transmission is in neutral, if it's manual.

You know... Some times it is the simplest things we take for granted because we 'know'!

Just want to say THANKS! Only our site would work through the post and help out - without a bunch of BS...

You all rock!

Fan clutch duh_smiley.png

I never thought about him having a fan clutch.

Ill have to do that when i get the proper tools right now i have none and its soooo annoying i took off the front bumper and since the bolts were rusted all 4 bolts snapped off but now i need a BFH to hit the bumper straight again so i can get to sanding.

Ill have to do that when i get the proper tools right now i have none and its soooo annoying i took off the front bumper and since the bolts were rusted all 4 bolts snapped off but now i need a BFH to hit the bumper straight again so i can get to sanding.
Corey...

Why do I feel so lost when I read your post? Just trying to help you out... You are a such a great member of our site - butt... Help me help you! :)

Corey...

Why do I feel so lost when I read your post? Just trying to help you out... You are a such a great member of our site - butt... Help me help you! :)

I know but i thought i explained it well enough but really Elwood was the only one who knew what i was talking about because he told me to do ha and hopefully if it warms up next week im going to try and take the body tub off and see the damage of rust i can already see the leave springs and shackles are rusted maybe a little bit inside the wheels from the backside so i think im gonna be into a pretty big project hopefully i can have it close to being ready and road worthy this summer

I know but i thought i explained it well enough but really Elwood was the only one who knew what i was talking about because he told me to do ha and hopefully if it warms up next week im going to try and take the body tub off and see the damage of rust i can already see the leave springs and shackles are rusted maybe a little bit inside the wheels from the backside so i think im gonna be into a pretty big project hopefully i can have it close to being ready and road worthy this summer
Great!

Glad to see that you are getting some where... :)

BTW - Punctuation makes reading a better experience for all of us! :)

Corey, dude, punctuation... Give it a whirl next time. You got to remember us old guys don't know how to read text messaging. It will help get your point across much, much easier bangtard.png.

Corey, dude, punctuation... Give it a whirl next time. You got to remember us old guys don't know how to read text messaging. It will help get your point across much, much easier bangtard.png.

I'm sorry guys i keep forgetting... i just ramble. i have a question?

Whats the best way of getting rid of rust, like lets say rust on the frame. and why do people use reverse shackels, are they better then normal?

But Man im in some dire need of tools and i cant afford to go get any right now which is a bummer. Cant work on the jeep without tools or a jack man i wish it was broken down at my dads house ha.

Word of CAUTION!
I've done it a hundred times so have you all.
A buddy was under his jeep, in neutral, he turned the fan by hand, the motor happened to be at TDC and fired up, barely missing his hand and fingers.
Never seen it or heard of anything like that on a vehicle, lawn mowers and 4wheelers yes, but never an automobile.

You can bet your <-BAD WORD-> I wont be making that mistake.

Word of CAUTION!
I've done it a hundred times so have you all.
A buddy was under his jeep, in neutral, he turned the fan by hand, the motor happened to be at TDC and fired up, barely missing his hand and fingers.
Never seen it or heard of anything like that on a vehicle, lawn mowers and 4wheelers yes, but never an automobile.

You can bet your <-BAD WORD-> I wont be making that mistake.

I really dont think my jeep has the potential to start up but thanks for the info so I will be more cautious. My jeep is off of TDC anywho i tried starting it after putting on the new fuel filter, but i might change out the fouled plug and/or plugs today to see if that was the problem. I called my uncle who is a retired mechanic, he seemed it sounded like fuel issues? any ideas?

hahahaha this thread is hilarious. i was cracking up wondering if anybody was going to mention the fan clutch and then the punctuation thing hahaha. man i forget punctuation every time i start typing a post.. i love to just type like im rambling on in a conversation. also the letter "I" makes me mad cause i forget to capitalize it and then im too lazy to fix all of them haha.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom