78 cj7 rear popping on hard acceleration

78 cj7 rear popping on hard acceleration

rigrunner567

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ-7 V8
i have a 78 CJ7 with a AMC 304 and 4speed T-18 Transmission . if i drop the clutch on gravel the rear only spins the passenger tire and the rear makes a poping sound. the driver side rim is bent or it looks to wobble. seems fine while driving normally. how much trouble am i in and what can i do to fix this. im pretty good with tools if i have the guidence. thanks

Sounds like ring and pinion also sounds like the wheel bearings are gone. You need to jack it up and look at it. It dont sound safe!

thanks.what am i looking for with it jacked up? never touched a rear end in a jeep. read somewhere lack of fluid will cause the locker to make noise and not lock. just picked this jeep up today. kinda dissapointed i didnt hear this on the test drive.

do you know for sure it has a locker, and if so what kind.

i dont know for sure if it has a locker or not. had to put 3 pints of fluid in it to get it full. havent heard it since.

The question that comes to my mind is what rear end do you have? If stock it will be an AMC20 . The easiest way to tell is to look at the differential. If the cover is round like a ball it is an AMC20 . If so the next question is do you have the OEM two piece axle shafts or have they been replaced with an aftermarket one piece? From your symptoms it could be a two piece shafts getting ready to cut loose. The other thought is the pinion bearing could be going bad from a lack of lubricant; when that happens the pinion can wobble against the ring.

since filling the rear diff all seems fine. it is infact an AMC20 . not sure if it has a locker or one peice axles. i got on it on my dirt rd and it is spinning both back tires and not noise at all from rear.

since filling the rear diff all seems fine. it is infact an AMC20 . not sure if it has a locker or one peice axles. i got on it on my dirt rd and it is spinning both back tires and not noise at all from rear.
You could still have an open carrier my 86 would do the same thing on level or slight incline till it would open up and cause one wheel to spin.:)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom