'79 cj7 transmission woes

'79 cj7 transmission woes

bigchez

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
69 z-28, 02 F-150, 79 cj7
I recently purchased a '79 CJ7 with a AMC 304 v8 but missing the transmission. The m20 transfer case was on the ground under the vehicle and I am trying to figure out which way to go for my novice 4x4 abilities.

I came across a GM Turbo 400 auto transmission that came off a '76 AMC 304 but not certain this would work with my transfer case?

Looking for any and all suggestions to get my jeep on the road.

Thanks,

I recently purchased a '79 CJ7 with a AMC 304 v8 but missing the transmission. The m20 transfer case was on the ground under the vehicle and I am trying to figure out which way to go for my novice 4x4 abilities.

I came across a GM Turbo 400 auto transmission that came off a '76 AMC 304 but not certain this would work with my transfer case?

Looking for any and all suggestions to get my jeep on the road.

Thanks,
It came with a T-150 3-speed manual transmission. An adapter can be purchased from Novak or Advanced Adapters for the GM Turbo 400 .

To adapt the Dana 20 t-case go with a th350 auto, and novak sells the adapter, the transmission is alot shorter then the 400. It had a T-150 and a Dana 20 t-case, and they are short, just adding the th350/adapter is gonna be alot longer.
The T-150 3 speed is a great trans if you don't mind a manual. I'm rebuilding my t-case and trans at this time. Been slow going, with work and all. But if your fairly new to this sort of thing, and money is slim just go with the T-150 .
Give this guy a call:
Drivetrain Components for Sale
The T-150 will run about $550 new, or check craigslist or ebay you can find them there sometimes. I recommend new, or have one rebuilt, don't use an unknown used trans.

I found a T-18 locally that the guy tells me with fit with minor adjustments to the crossmember?

I am going with this option ($AMC 150 ) as it appears to be the easiest and least expensive fix I have come up with.

Thank you for the information and it may come in very handy as a back up plan.

I found a T-18 locally that the guy tells me with fit with minor adjustments to the crossmember?
Is a Jeep T-18 or a Ford T-18 ? Jeep T-18 's are hard to find! If it is a Jeep T-18 - that is a steel!

If it is a Ford T-18 you will need an adapter to fit the Dana 20 transfer case. The adapter is $517 and you will have to completely disassemble and reassemble the transmission. See -->> Adapting the T18 / T19 Transmissions to the Dana 18 & 20 Transfer Cases

Please be absolutely sure it is a Jeep T-18 ... :)

Also, depending on the engine - there are specific bell housings needed as well as clutch, TO bearing and pilot bearing.

Let us know!

The transmission was mounted to a jeep with a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l engine and the seller said that he will provide the bellhousing, clutch and transmission for $AMC 150 . He provided me a link that shows the required changes to the crossmember to accomodate the slightly larger transmission.

He also mentioned the clutch and bearings are the same for the T-150 and the T-18 I am buying.

I will pick this up tomorrow and begin the installing it over the weekend.

Thanks for the heads up!

The transmission was mounted to a jeep with a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l engine and the seller said that he will provide the bellhousing, clutch and transmission for $AMC 150 . He provided me a link that shows the required changes to the crossmember to accomodate the slightly larger transmission.

He also mentioned the clutch and bearings are the same for the T-150 and the T-18 I am buying.

I will pick this up tomorrow and begin the installing it over the weekend.

Thanks for the heads up!
I'd be willing to bet the pilot bushing won't be the same. also there is a difference in the clutch fork. I've done the swap a few times. Unless the T-18 cam out of a Jeep CJ, it also came in full size Jeeps which have a long shaft & necessary adapter from the factory.The Ford style with aftermarket adapter is a shorter combo than the Jeep fullsize style trans. CJ's right that it takes more work & money.throw-2.jpg The top one is how yours should look.

I would also consider swapping in a late model CJ hydro clutch master & slave setup at this time. IMO it's much superior to the stock setup.

"WARNING" THREAD HIJACK:
Hey longhorn do we have a write up on the hydro clutch swap?
"Now back to our regularly scheduled thread" :chug:

"WARNING" THREAD HIJACK:
Hey longhorn do we have a write up on the hydro clutch swap?
"Now back to our regularly scheduled thread" :chug:
I don't think I have a write up on it. The swap consists of all factory parts, Just later model. My Scrambler tub had the bolt pattern already stamped in.clutch_slave.jpg

p1000242medium.jpg

101_0058.JPG

That is a great thread with some pretty good information. The most important thing you need to do is make sure the input shaft length is close to the current length of your current shaft. If it is considerably longer, the shaft is wrong (truck shaft) and will place the transmission too far back in the CJ.

Here is a great read on T-18 's -->> http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t18_t19.htm

This is the part that you need to be careful with -(BOLD TEXT)
Jeep and IH T18s typically have 6-spline and threaded end output shafts onto which the Dana transfer case gear installs directly. 1980 and later Jeep T18s (found in J-Trucks only) featured a 31-spline output shaft that - like the Ford versions - was excessively long for installation into any short wheelbase Jeep.

BTW - You will have to fab new trans covers as the ones you have won't clear the larger T-18 - and you'll need to have new drive shafts fabbed... :)

BTW - I forgot I have a new T-18 sitting in my garage!!!! (brain fart) - I can measure the input shaft length for you when I get home! :)

Picked up transmission and transfer case and it came off the back of an inline 6 from a CJ. Was planning on installing it this weekend but found the motor mounts needed replacing, 4 body mount bushings missing, 3 header bolts and gaskets missing etc....

I am now going through the vehicle to find all the missing parts before putting it back together.....a never ending story!

Picked up transmission and transfer case and it came off the back of an inline 6 from a CJ. Was planning on installing it this weekend but found the motor mounts needed replacing, 4 body mount bushings missing, 3 header bolts and gaskets missing etc....

I am now going through the vehicle to find all the missing parts before putting it back together.....a never ending story!
Factory motor mounts suck. Aftermarket mounts are expensive, but never need replacement. I guess it depends how long you plan on keeping your Jeep.jm301z.jpg
I coughed up the cash for these bad boy's from M.O.R.E. and I have not been disappointed.:cool:

Just bought the stock rubber ones at Napa for $6.50 each....will try this at first but coming from a Drag Racing past I am a firm believer in solid mounts.

I also wanted to put out another thank you to all Jeepers......when I went to pick up the transmission $AMC 150 he threw in the transfer case, linkage (new in box) and bellhousing to ensure I had what I needed to complete my project. This is far better than the drag racing comunity. I look forward to gaining enough knowledge to someday help others out!

Just bought the stock rubber ones at Napa for $6.50 each....will try this at first but coming from a Drag Racing past I am a firm believer in solid mounts.

I also wanted to put out another thank you to all Jeepers......when I went to pick up the transmission $AMC 150 he threw in the transfer case, linkage (new in box) and bellhousing to ensure I had what I needed to complete my project. This is far better than the drag racing comunity. I look forward to gaining enough knowledge to someday help others out!
The problem with factory Jeep mounts, is when they come apart there is no safety. They completely into two pieces!:eek:

I have finished the installation after finding additional things that needed my attention but it appears the rear drive shaft is 3 inches long and the front drive shaft is an equal distance short? I did not read anything about drive line length in my studies.....did I mess something up?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks