'79 cj7 transmission woes

'79 cj7 transmission woes
T~~~ BTW - You will have to fab new trans covers as the ones you have won't clear the larger T-18 - and you'll need to have new drive shafts fabbed... :)

I have finished the installation after finding additional things that needed my attention but it appears the rear drive shaft is 3 inches long and the front drive shaft is an equal distance short? I did not read anything about drive line length in my studies.....did I mess something up?
Yep -that is normal for this trans swap. Some how you must have missed my post (#12). I quoted it for you... The transmissions (new and old) are different lengths so you will have to have the drives shafts modified...

I have finished the installation after finding additional things that needed my attention but it appears the rear drive shaft is 3 inches long and the front drive shaft is an equal distance short? I did not read anything about drive line length in my studies.....did I mess something up?
That's a common problem when swapping transmissions, also having to drill new mount holes in skidplate. Some times exhaust interference can be an issue. It's the price we pay to make'em stronger. What a great opportunity to upgrade to bigger yokes , shaft diameter and U-joints. I went with Tom Woods 1350 CV's at that point on mine.:D

Oh Good.....another project! I appreciate all the help and I apologize to CJ for missing your post! I saw it but obviously did not understand it! I will take your advice and visit a "new" friend at Advanced Suspensions for getting some new drive lines.

~~~I appreciate all the help and I apologize to CJ for missing your post!~~~
No need to apologize! I just wanted to make sure you knew that changing trans almost always necessitates a drive shaft change...

We have all been there... :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks